RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jet Ski registration

3 posters

Go down

Jet Ski registration Empty Jet Ski registration

Post  Krud Sat Feb 06 2010, 04:27

Hi all,
Quick question about jet ski registration. Last registered my old jet ski many many years ago and at the time I was able to phone in with details and use the jet ski in the meantime until the numbers came through in the post.
I just purchased a jet ski today (Sea doo RXT-X) and was wondering do you have to wait for the numbers to come back before using the ski. I can't register it today at Mechanics Bay because it's a Sat and a public holiday but want to get out on the water asap. If you get spotted on the water without numbers, is there a "days grace" period where you are allowed to use the jet ski so long as the registration form has been posted in or do you just get fined regardless.
Anyone know the rules on this.
I dont' want the ski parked up in the garage for days on end waiting for the ARC to process the registration papers.
Sorry if this has been dealt with in the past in the forums - just couldn't find it.
Krud
Krud

Male
Number of posts : 34
PWC : Sea Doo RXT-X 2008
Best fish landed on your ski : 7lb 7oz
Job/hobbies : Med/Jetski, Family, Coffee
Humor : Usually dry but wet when fishing
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Jet Ski registration Empty Re: Jet Ski registration

Post  aleigh Sat Feb 06 2010, 05:55

Technically it should have numbers before use (along with boats names etc) but then if you obey the rules and have already sent in the details I can't see them being too fussed. There are a lot more important things to do for them

I used mine for at least 1 week before realising I needed to get registered. Once again I was not doing stuff that drew attention so nothing was said.
Might find it easier launching from non-club ramps as more likely to be seen by bored enforcement officer.

Not sure it's correct but that is the way I see it

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Shdbefishn? Sat Feb 06 2010, 06:06

I did mine via email and fax and they said it was fine to use until the numbers arrived, I did carry around the paperwork in my glovebox though.
Shdbefishn?
Shdbefishn?

Male
Number of posts : 320
PWC : 2006 VX110
Best fish landed on your ski : 68cm snap - no scales (well the fish had some lol) Hammerhead Shark..
Job/hobbies : Fishing
Humor : lol of course
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Jet Ski registration Empty re: Jet Ski Registration

Post  Krud Sat Feb 06 2010, 06:15

Thanks for the feed back.

When the details were faxed and emailed, did they give you a reference number to refer to if pulled up or did you just carry copies of the email and fax as proof that you sent the registration in.
I guess I could email and fax it in now and then go out tomorrow and hope for the best. The weather looks so good - seems such a shame to miss out on such a nice weekend.
Krud
Krud

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  aleigh Sat Feb 06 2010, 07:27

wouldn't stress it - say you faxed or emailed info if asked and that you only bought Saturday so can't register it till Monday.

Never seen anyone that has asked actually.
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Jet Ski registration Empty re: Jet Ski Registration

Post  Krud Sat Feb 06 2010, 07:51

Fair enough. I'll relax on it.
I'll just fax it and email it and hope for the best.
Just a little weary of the reg issue as they tried to fine me when the rules first came in. I registered over the phone, was told it was fine to use the jet ski until the numbers arrived. But later on that same day while quietly idling watching the America's Cup racing ( no hooning or misbehaviour going on :-) ), the Coastguard spotted me without numbers and came over to ask if I was registered. I told them I had registered over the phone that day and the Coastguard made out that was fine and all was good. But they went straight back and issued me a fine which I received a few days later and it took a few phone calls to sort the whole thing out before they agreed the fine should not have been issued. Hence my slight concern.

Anyway, thanks all for your input.
Krud
Krud

Male

Back to top Go down