RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What fish finder

+4
wayne comer
Aka Hooter
Jetskifishing
taurangajet
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty transducer mounting

Post  taurangajet Fri Nov 21 2008, 22:25

Hi Jase,

Went out this morning and it seems to be working ok. Picked up the bottom structure and a few fish although I didn't manage to catch any!!!

The only issue I seem to have is depth in shallow water. It doesn't seem to be very acurrate in under a metre of water. I wonder if this is the hull or is common to all fish finders?! Reports a reading of 0.2m when in approx one metre of water.

I guess the only real way to check it is to run alongside someone else with a fish finder and see what they get!

Thanks

J
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty Re: What fish finder

Post  Jase Sat Nov 22 2008, 02:05

Julian
On your fishfinder there is adjustment to set the depth up,you need to make sure that is set correct or on auto adjust
out of intrest what unit do you have?
Jase
Jase
Jase

Male
Number of posts : 45
Job/hobbies : Workshop Manager for pwc,setting up fast skis,racing
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty humminbird

Post  taurangajet Sat Nov 22 2008, 09:33

Hi Jase,

Got a Humminbird 363 combo. I decided to go for that unit as it clips on and off easily (see photo's above) It's got GPS and maps but is still relatively small which makes it ideal for the jetski.

Happy with my choice so far and I'll have a play with the depth settings as you suggest.

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty fish finder working well

Post  taurangajet Fri Dec 05 2008, 01:42

Hi,

Just to report the fishfinder is working well with the transducer placed inside the hull (Yamaha FX160). My earlier problems were down to set up.

Having it set up for salt water seems to be the key Embarassed

Time is a great teacher unfortunaltely, it kills all it's pupils
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase Fri Dec 05 2008, 06:58

good to hear it is all going well, now go catch some fish Laughing
Jase
Jase

Male
Number of posts : 45
Job/hobbies : Workshop Manager for pwc,setting up fast skis,racing
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty Picture of bracket with fish finder mounted

Post  taurangajet Sat Dec 06 2008, 06:33

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, was going to post pictures of the bracket but, had to dash off to work and then completely forgot.

Check this out.
What fish finder - Page 2 Holida10

What fish finder - Page 2 Holida11
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty Transducer conundrum.

Post  wotzy77 Fri May 29 2009, 12:55

GDay AKAHOOTER, Thanks for the bounce backs on some of the other forums.
I have been weighing the pros and cons of where and what to do for my sounder set up, keeping in mind my ski was originally bought to use for surfing.

And then I see the exact same ski as mine with a quality and simple setup! Its yours i beleive! Pictures should be below. I was going to start a new thread but I reckon more people will get the benefits if this one lives on!

I am pretty much resigned to doing what you have..people are scared of drilling into the hull, myself included, but after what happened to my ski recently .check story in tech talk and If you got the balls to doit then so be it. I have some questions from your valuable experience....

*where the transducer is attached to the bottom corner of the ski ... is it drilled all the way through and bolted, or is it tech screwed, have you used a sealant, could it come off? might it leak into the composite material an etc for all paranoid queries? yeah sorry long big question.

*would you do it differently if you were to do it again?

*Do you find the reading is getting any distortion from turbulence? im guessing no.

*Does the bracket mounting the screeen stand up to the punishment youve given it sofar?

* does the tansducer survive multiple bashings up the beach?

You have done a fine thing drilling into the bottom of that ski and i would really appreciate your feedback before i do it to mine.javascript:emoticonp('scratch')

Thanks mate

Aka Hooter wrote:What fish finder - Page 2 Transd10What fish finder - Page 2 Transd11What fish finder - Page 2 Transd12
wotzy77
wotzy77

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty Oh there is more than one page!

Post  wotzy77 Fri May 29 2009, 13:07

It seems i have only just learned that the thread pages may have more than one page!!! My quote above is from the start of the thread so i hope no one minds.
Sweet set up julian, I have heard of very limited success in the yamaha hulls and im stoked you have a winner.
wotzy77
wotzy77

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Aka Hooter Sun May 31 2009, 04:25

Hi Wotzy. Yes they are the photos of my sounder and mounting ,I only used self tapping s/s screws on my transducer bracket and I used some 5 minute araldite epoxy on them . I have had no issues with mine but because its is a hinged bracket any solid contact with the bottom or a stick in the water will kick it up out of harms way. As far as reading goes its all sweet and I have mo prob;ems getting good depth reading in depths up to 200 feet and at speed of up to 50 mph.

I believe Andrew from Jet Ski Fishing has a stainless steel bracket available that bolts to the jet unit so I would ask him the same question as that would avoid the need to drill any holes in the hull ( probably better way to go )

Cheers Hoot
Aka Hooter
Aka Hooter

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Sun May 31 2009, 04:45

Andrew's bracket bolts in the same holes as the boarding ladder. So effectively like a small spacer, but this allows full use of boarding ladder and no fresh holes.
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty 2004 fx ho mounting transducer R and D

Post  wotzy77 Wed Jun 03 2009, 14:13

Cheers fellows,
Unfortunately the 2004 FX doesn't have a boarding step to mount handy andy's bracket...........bugger.
So a self tapping screw and araldite combo may be the way im going to go....
Ive heard of them being mounted to ride plates but this means it will get in the way on hard surfaces.
Ive envisioned a large bracket that secures on both gunnels with a sliding pole that can put the transducer in and out of the water depending on cruising speed But its way to bulky and out of my league,

How deep can a self tapping screw go into the hull hooter? Have you got a preferred screw size that you would use?
Andy if you spot this thread have you got any more inventions up your sleeve? Before i go through with it I will give you a message if your not watching this thread.

Ski is still in hospital so havnt bought sounder yet.
cant wait to post my setup, not lavish but hopefully will get the job done.
wotzy77
wotzy77

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Aka Hooter Wed Jun 03 2009, 23:31

Hi Wotzy as long as you use a transducer bracket that allows the unit to hinge up on impact there really isn't a lot of load on the mounting even at 60 mph. I just used the stainless steel self tapping screws that came with the unit I think they are about 3/8ths of an inch long 10 gauge. Make sure you epoxy them in place.

Cheers Hoot
Aka Hooter
Aka Hooter

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

What fish finder - Page 2 Empty Plotter Cables

Post  Fishon Thu Jul 30 2009, 02:22

Hi All
What do you guys do with the plotter cables? Specifically the plotter mounted inside the cub holder?
Thanks
Fishon
Fishon

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2