ANother new person from Houston/Gulf Coast

Go down

ANother new person from Houston/Gulf Coast

Post  huntoon3 on Thu May 14 2009, 16:22

I am very excited to find this website! I have been thinking about fishing from a PWC for several years after hearing a story about someone taking one out to the oil rigs to fish a few miles offshore. I mostly fish the shallow water bays of the Texas Coast, we have excellent fishing for Speckeled Trout "Specs" and Redfish "Reds".

I would like to know how shallow a pwc can run safely without damaging the engine? the shallowest i would probably run is maybe 8 to 10 inches, but most of the time 1 to 2 feet of water.

It just seems like the pwc would be so perfect for the kind of fishing we do in the bays. we mostly drive our boat to where we are going to fish and then we anchor and get out of the boat and wade fish. so fishing from the craft would never be an issue, the pwc would merely be a Very Fast method to transport me and my gear.

huntoon3

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ANother new person from Houston/Gulf Coast

Post  2-EXTREME on Fri May 15 2009, 06:56

Welcome ! And man that sounds like a fun way to no longer wade to you fishing spot !! I would say running those depths aint and issue. But hopefully someone else with more mechanical knowledge can answer your question. However I do know running a Supercharged ski in shallow water is a big NO NO!! As serious damage can occur if you were to hit the bottom whilst suprcharger spooling up hard etc etc.

Anyway.
Have fun and please post reports with photos of your experience from the other side of the world.

Cheers

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Fri May 15 2009, 11:43

welcome fellow Houstonian!

xtel

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  huntoon3 on Fri May 15 2009, 14:52

i was at the yamaha store yesterday and i was telling the sales guy what i wanted to do with the waverunner and his eyes lit up. he said he has been doing it for a few years. he showed me how he has his rigged with a cooler and rod holders. i told him, i just cant believe more people have not started using pwc to fish the bays. i think Yamaha needs to make a model geared towards fisherman.

huntoon3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Fri May 15 2009, 19:10

I agree. Which Yamaha did you go to? I'm seeing if there's any good sales around town.

I think I may go with a Seadoo though, mainly for the closed-loop cooling and I'll mostly be in saltwater.

xtel

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  huntoon3 on Fri May 15 2009, 19:15

it went to the new Katy Yamaha at Fry rd and i-10. i am really impressed with the yamaha engineering and there past history in the pwc industry. but you bring up an interesting topic that i dont know much about. the closed loop cooling. i know that the new yamahas are water cooled, is that the same thing or something different?

also, where do you fish when you go?

huntoon3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Sat May 16 2009, 09:44

from my understanding, the Yamaha's (or any other PWC other than Seadoo) do not have the closed-loop which pulls in outside water into the engine to cool (instead of using anti-freeze), and for people like you and me that'll be in the saltwater Gulf that could mean trouble if not properly maintained.

I have no doubt that Yamaha isn't a great PWC, I was considering getting one until I started reading all of this other stuff. I would just check out other forums and see what people are saying about the model you're wanting to buy.

That Yamaha is about 6 minutes from my house, if you keep going down I-10 West a little bit more there is Wild West Honda who sells Seadoo's, if you want to get a closer look. I don't have a PWC just yet, but I plan on launching off Tiki Island (my uncle is a professional guide there) and crusing across to the shoreline or some of the reefs.

xtel

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Salt water - Yamaha

Post  swasy on Sat May 16 2009, 10:46

Hi Guys

Welcome aboard the site.

I have a 07 FX 160 HO (done 80hrs now) and can totally recommend it as a ski...I run manly in the salt water and have had no problems. Of course its all down to how you maintain your ski...

I always flush out the engine with salt away. And wash the ski with salt away inside and out. Although I only wash the inside (with gentle spray) 3-4 times a year or in I have taken on water for any reason.

Also leaving a film of salt away on/in engine compartment is good also. plus I keep it sprayed with INOX regularly as well.

Even the closed loop systems skis still need flushing cleaning etc.

Cheers

Keith

Smile Smile
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Sat May 16 2009, 22:05

Oh yes of course I didn't mean to imply that they didn't. I think it's just mostly personal preference.

xtel

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Tue May 19 2009, 11:51

Any good spots you know of in Galveston to park and fish w/ live bait & cork? It's my wife's first time ... and needs to get familiar with her equipment.

xtel

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  huntoon3 on Tue May 19 2009, 13:35

if you want to go down to galveston to fish, i would take her to San Luis Pass, that is a good place to throw some bait in the water. but instead of going to galveston, and since you live on the west side of town, i would reccomend you take the beltway to 288 and go south to Lake Jackson and keep going to through and then get on 357 "Blue Water Highway" and it will take you right to Surfside beach, hang a right at the light and it will take you to the surfside jetty park. it is a nice jetty and has restrooms. you can catch a lot of fish from there if they are biting.

huntoon3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xtel on Tue May 19 2009, 15:05

awesome! thanks for the info.

we may do that on saturday, and then sunday she wants to find a quiet shore spot where we can set up chairs and stake the dog to run around on a leash. lol. maybe around boliver or pelican island?

xtel

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down