RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Transducer Performance Research

4 posters

Go down

My Transducer Performance Research Empty My Transducer Performance Research

Post  2-EXTREME Sat Aug 29 2009, 08:29

For what its worth I seem to have found a very good mounting depth for my transducer. (PHOTOS TO COME)

To set the scene I am on my 4th identical Lowrance so I am pretty familiar with the unit and its performance. I have always externally mounted the transducers attaching to boarding ladder brackets. Anyhow my hull position across all skis is relatively the same as far as being positioned behind a smooth section of hull to allow as little disturbance as possible. The Lowrance transducer is quite long and when using the mounting hardware can sit deep into the water so I have always lined up as best I can with diagrams provided but due to my mounting it sat well back away from the ski.

This time round the transducer was to be too deep on the Yamaha so I have flipped the mounting brackets horizontal and attached to boarding ladder bracket accordingly which has the transducer sitting slightly higher than I normally would have mounted or what is recommended for boats, but it is much closer to the back of the hull.

Anyhow the result is I get a clean accurate reading of bottom and sign whilst still cruising at 40 KPH and then start to lose a consistant image of the bottom contour and any sign but maintain and accurate bottom depth reading right through to around 75 KPH which in my book and compared to all previous mounting I have had on skis and boats is very good.

Is anyones sounder/transducer performing better than this??? If so I would love for some detailled photos so we can all learn more. Nothing better than being able to cover a big area quickly looking for sign as opposed to having to slowly move around.

I look forward to any replies of better success (oh, and no BS either guys, it aint a competition!!)

Last edited by 2-EXTREME on Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:27; edited 1 time in total
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

My Transducer Performance Research Empty Re: My Transducer Performance Research

Post  JAZA Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:20

MINE READS UP TO 65KM GOOD BETTER AROUND 45-50KMS FOR LOOKING FOR SIGN LOWRANCE IS A GREAT UNIT WHENS THERES SIGNS 9/10 U WILL GET HIT MOST OF THE TIME IM MOUNTED ON THE BOARDING LADDER SCREWS [img]My Transducer Performance Research 29082012[/img]

[img]My Transducer Performance Research 29082013[/img]

[img]My Transducer Performance Research 29082014[/img]

I RUN THE PING RATE AT 85% READS BETTER AT HIGH SPEED DONT GET SURFACE CLUTTER AT ALL FLUSHED MOUNTED ON GLOVE BOX
JAZA
JAZA

Male
Number of posts : 177
PWC : 2008 Sea-Doo GTX
Best fish landed on your ski : 10LB SNAPPER FLAT ROCK 9-02-10 JIGGING
Job/hobbies : TRADESMAN/JETSKIFISHING/SNOWBOARDING
Humor : YOUR NOT KEEPING THAT ARE U??
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

My Transducer Performance Research Empty Transducer performance

Post  aleigh Sat Aug 29 2009, 20:39

Well I assume the Lowrance skimmer you installed is same or similar to the Eagle one I posted yesterday attached to my Kawasaki. I got readings from bottom up to 40kph yesterday though must say I was looking more at waves and GPS by that speed. Picked up bottom OK at speed but the fish alert bit liked slower trolling speeds.

Might yet have to do like my brother in law said and put out a long line behind the ski with 25 hooks. Or maybe just tie landing net to a bit of rope and drag it behind.
Do you use the fsih alert function where it depicts soundings as fish or is this an Eagle function only.

Anyway the transdcucer sticks out the back of the transom by about12cm and is about level with end of deck above it.

My Transducer Performance Research Transo10

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Sat Aug 29 2009, 20:48

Looks like my results are nothing out of the ordinary then. Good to know that others are getting good performance also.

Aleigh - Turn the FISH ID off and get used to reading the marks. This is far more accurate and as time goes by you will get more familiar with how different fish species look on your sounder. I.e schools of bait fish, terakihi, snapper holding on the bottom etc etc.

I also use split screen with one side operating at 4X Zoom to really identify whats down there, especially if fish are holding really close to the bottom. (You'd think I could catch more fish in recent times then lol! )
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

My Transducer Performance Research Empty Fish ID

Post  aleigh Sat Aug 29 2009, 20:56

Yeh I'm sure it's somewhere in one of the menus to turn it off but as first time out with FF I was trying come to grips with GPS and normal menus for use on the water as only had a 3 hour window.

Maybe as it gets warmer you could come mout with me and then you won't feel so bad catching nothing Laughing

Just have to find another time as I need to fish by the kids and less by the moon

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Sat Aug 29 2009, 21:57

HA HA sounds just like my Fishing Phase - The 3 x Kids and Wife one....maybe this is where the Maori Calendar started from!!
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Aug 30 2009, 00:25

Yes, i can relate to that also!!

lol!
eddie
eddie
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 149
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake edition 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 690mm,12.2LB at the Haystack 5/12/09
Job/hobbies : job=sales/marketing.hobbies=rallying and fishing....now jetski fishing!!!
Humor : All Types!!
Registration date : 2009-06-30

Back to top Go down

My Transducer Performance Research Empty Maori fishing calendar

Post  aleigh Sun Aug 30 2009, 01:47

guess back then the "Great Hunters" would go and seek food and not have all sorts of other activities they had to cart the whanua around in the waka.

As gets warmer (hopefully) there will be more oppurtunities to go out as weather less of an issue

Andrew pirat
aleigh
aleigh

Male

Back to top Go down