Query about WaveRunners???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Query about WaveRunners???

Post  memfis on Fri Nov 06 2009, 06:56

query about waverunners???
memfis Today at 19:39

i was at work today speaking to a workmate who nows the person who owns rogers boats! now he said that his mate told him that they have had to rebuild 2 waverunners due too engine blowing! they found it to be water going up the exhaust, and saying its due to the weight of the chillybin and stuff on the rear, saying the ski is not sitting right (ie level) in water and he said! QUOTE... ITS VOIDING WARRANTY!

Now this got on my tits!!!!!!!!!! because if this was the case, if you had 3 on it, it would sit lower in the water anyway (a bloody lot lower) so me being a proud owner of a waverunner was most pi**ed off.

CAN ANYBODY ON THIS FORUM VALIDATE THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR KNOW ANYBODY WHO THIS MIGHT OF HAPPENED TO!

Regards Mark (Memfis)

memfis

Number of posts: 21
Job/hobbies: Refrigeration/ air con
Humor: Dont ask me!! i dont care.
Registration date: 2009-10-19
memfis

Male
Number of posts : 63
PWC : fx ho waverunner
Best fish landed on your ski : 13.1/2lb snapper
Job/hobbies : Refrigeration/ air con
Humor : Dont ask me!! i dont care.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Query about WaveRunners???

Post  softbaiter on Fri Nov 06 2009, 08:30

to be honest I suspected this with most of my fishing done on the manukau on 6 knots of current.... I have had a starting issue a couple of times and it was always at anchor with the wife on the back, by myself at anchor it was fine. . The ski would drop a cyl and be hard to start then it would go and run on 3 for a bit, I assumed it was pumping water out of the cylinders and then getting to 4 and run fine, I fogged the motor with wd 40 after this as the water ingestion was suspected via the intake filling up the exhaust.

I have already planned to put a ball cock on the water inlet line for towing behind my parents launch, but this might speed me up on that plan.
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME on Fri Nov 06 2009, 09:02

Hmmmm maybe we should get from the horses mouth but.....Yamaha NZ and Australia support jetskifishing to the point in both countries they have rigged skis at boatshows etc and organise photo shoots and media exposure, so why would they if it could potentially void a warranty??? Doubt it very much. Anyway in addition to this the recommended maximum additional weight for my Waverunner and many others is 240KGs with a max of 3 people or 1 or 2 people and luggage. I weigh in at 77kgs so therefore I can carry an additonal 163kgs "NO CHANCE" of ever loading enough on to do this on my own. As said above three adults on the ski weigh the ski down far more than a fishing setup with a couple of rods and reels, chillibin with ice and fish. I would say an average weight with your limit of snapper, and ice slurry and all gear would be 30-35kgs max all day long. Hardly a significant amount of additional weight for a 500kg ski. The new Seadoo Wakes come with extra ballast on the rear of approx 70kgs. Look at some of AKA HOOTERS photos from Queensland and his buddies, their setups would be closer to 60+KGS on the back and have racked up plenty of hours on their skis. However I know of several wakeboarders who have over weighted their boats the have sterndrives (300-500KG of extra weight) and caused water to be sucked up the exhaust and subsequently hydraulicing the engine.

Andrew or I will confirm with Yamaha NZ regarding this to put all minds at ease, but just use Andrew as an example.....he has done over 250 hours on Waverunners setup for fishing and in the roughest conditions and with plenty of weight on the back and not one ski has had a problem!!

As far as rough running/hardstarting occasionally as mentioned above, this is usually due to a very low battery as I know with my ski (and my wifes car for that matter) the fuel is last in the line up as far as power is concerned in the electronic sequence.

I am no mechanic, so if someone knows more that can shed light on this subject please feel free.

Last edited by 2-EXTREME on Fri Nov 06 2009, 09:10; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JAZA on Fri Nov 06 2009, 09:09

memfis wrote:query about waverunners???
memfis Today at 19:39

i was at work today speaking to a workmate who nows the person who owns rogers boats! now he said that his mate told him that they have had to rebuild 2 waverunners due too engine blowing! they found it to be water going up the exhaust, and saying its due to the weight of the chillybin and stuff on the rear, saying the ski is not sitting right (ie level) in water and he said! QUOTE... ITS VOIDING WARRANTY!

Now this got on my tits!!!!!!!!!! because if this was the case, if you had 3 on it, it would sit lower in the water anyway (a bloody lot lower) so me being a proud owner of a waverunner was most pi**ed off.

CAN ANYBODY ON THIS FORUM VALIDATE THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR KNOW ANYBODY WHO THIS MIGHT OF HAPPENED TO!

Regards Mark (Memfis)

memfis

Number of posts: 21
Job/hobbies: Refrigeration/ air con
Humor: Dont ask me!! i dont care.
Registration date: 2009-10-19

BUY A SEADOO AND BE DONE Cool
JAZA

Male
Number of posts : 177
PWC : 2008 Sea-Doo GTX
Best fish landed on your ski : 10LB SNAPPER FLAT ROCK 9-02-10 JIGGING
Job/hobbies : TRADESMAN/JETSKIFISHING/SNOWBOARDING
Humor : YOUR NOT KEEPING THAT ARE U??
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter on Fri Nov 06 2009, 16:28

I have only had the issue when at anchor and with the mrs on board. Now if you think about it, 70L (bout 70kg) of fuel, + my fat ass 100kg + the mrs at 52kg Plus a Chillibin with 5kg of ice etc. Also the weight being on the back will get the back lower in the water. With the ski anchored in current, its like being towed.
I know the hard starting isn't voltage related as im sitting at 12.8 volts and then about 11.9 when cranking and the ski turns over very fast(Qualified Automotive Mechanic so i have some Idea Razz) My ski has new plugs, great compression on all cylinders and ive had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Getting the correct oil level on these things is also important to stop the crank breather blowing excess oil into the air filter, but that was sorted long ago also. When i do have the issue its definately dropping a cyl but after a few seconds (probably once the plug has dried) it picks up that cyl. the symptoms fit.

Sea Doo's may have this issue as most are closed loop cooling using the ride plate for the heat exchanger, But do still run a wet exhaust.
Sadly id say you are wasting your time asking Yamaha. In my experience manufacturers seldom admit faults until they are flooded with hundreds of them. They probably come back with an answer like " they are not designed to be at rest with a full load "

Look at the kawasaki Ultra 250.. they had a major issue with petrol getting past the rings and into the sump and what did they do to solve it.... not pull the pistons and put decent rings in it...change the thermostat to make the ski run hotter to burn off the extra fuel Rolling Eyes

Maybe these other guys who had the issue were pie eaters like me Razz
softbaiter

Male
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing on Mon Nov 09 2009, 00:03

Hi Crew, such an interesting topic and I would like to here more details to put this rumour to rest. Myself, I have attributed on the latest series WaveRunners, over 200 hours in quick time. Without sounding arrogant there has been plenty of days heading back with a full bin of fish, yet of course never equating to the weight of an average sized passenger. In saying this I fish plenty with two up and at times have also stored 20 litre of fuel with my can placed at the rear of my ski... Is this just a luck issue, I hope not, best I touch wood.
I also did use my 2006 FX HO for jetskifishing, I used the older series engine with my fishing kit for 150 hours of use with no such issues.
I can say with my kit is fabricated in light weight design wieghing only 9kg with all hardware and chilly, yet some kits are excessively heavy and would have to be an extreme weight and fully loaded to effect the PWC as the way described.
This morning, I have been on the phone to Yamaha NZ and they would appreciate any further information confirming this matter, as this is the first they have heard and I believe they are the most credible PWC manufacturer for warranties.
For everyones information, Yamaha NZ and Australia are the only PWC distributor to seriously recognize the merits of Jetskifishing and both are current clients of Jetskifishing, using the Ultimate Rod Holder fishing kit on their promotional WaveRunners, so to use a quality product, they must believe the PWC's are a good option for fishing.
P.S. Please clarify WaveRunners year, third hand gossip maybe like chinese whispers and last of all I have many photos showing how the Yamaha's rest level with the waterline fully rigged and if anything the Sea-Doos don't sit level with additional weight...

Cheers, Andrew
[img][/img]

Last edited by Jetskifishing on Mon Nov 09 2009, 00:51; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 735
Best fish landed on your ski : Snapper - 17 Pound, Kingfish - 19 kilo
Job/hobbies : The jetskifishing guy
Humor : Funny Ha!Ha!

View user profile http://www.jetskifishing.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter on Mon Nov 09 2009, 00:47

Mines an 03 Fx140

*only have ever had the problem with the wife onboard and at anchor.

Would be interesting to see if its weight related. did some weighing in the weekend, im 107kgs (fat bastrd I know) my chili - rig weighs 5kg, assorted tools, fire extinguisher, anchor, chain, fishing kit, another 11kgs The wife is 52kgs so thats 175kgs... not excessive when the rated load carrying capacity is 240kgs.

Ive got the ballcock and am going to fit it anyway for peace of mind.. makes flushing easier too as I normally clamp that line

Somewhere lurking on this forum is a pic you took of me and the mrs on my ski in sargents channel
softbaiter

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HOTBODZ on Wed Nov 18 2009, 08:21

Buy a Seadoo
HOTBODZ

Male
Number of posts : 179
PWC : 2008 SEADOO GTX LTD 215 SUPERCHARGED
Best fish landed on your ski : 7lb Snapper
Job/hobbies : Company Director
Humor : Tag and Release
Registration date : 2009-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JAZA on Wed Nov 18 2009, 18:36

HOTBODZ wrote:Buy a Seadoo

yea gona keep with seadoo because of storage and fresh water cooling may my gtx is ideal for what i need Rolling Eyes might wait to next summer see what comes out

hey hotbodz why u say that about woodbine they been good as to me
JAZA

Male
Number of posts : 177
PWC : 2008 Sea-Doo GTX
Best fish landed on your ski : 10LB SNAPPER FLAT ROCK 9-02-10 JIGGING
Job/hobbies : TRADESMAN/JETSKIFISHING/SNOWBOARDING
Humor : YOUR NOT KEEPING THAT ARE U??
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing on Wed Nov 18 2009, 18:41

JAZA wrote:

yea gona keep with seadoo because of storage and fresh water cooling may my gtx is ideal for what i need Rolling Eyes might wait to next summer see what comes out

Good call Jaza, those GTX's are perfect for what we do, for anybodies reference on perfect models of different brands for fishing. Go the Yamaha Super High Output FXHO, The Sea-Doo GTX, The Kawasaki LX. All three are great platforms with the best economy and stability in their model range, with bang for buck.

Cheers, Andrew

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 735
Best fish landed on your ski : Snapper - 17 Pound, Kingfish - 19 kilo
Job/hobbies : The jetskifishing guy
Humor : Funny Ha!Ha!

View user profile http://www.jetskifishing.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  HOTBODZ on Wed Nov 18 2009, 19:19

JAZA wrote:

Cut a long story short they f@#$%! me around , you dont back down on a deal ( that they made and i agreed on ) at the last minute .
We all have good and bad experiences and im just airing my personal opinion of them . Its never about this sale , its about the next and the next and the
referals that come with it , they will get none of these from me .
HOTBODZ

Male
Number of posts : 179
PWC : 2008 SEADOO GTX LTD 215 SUPERCHARGED
Best fish landed on your ski : 7lb Snapper
Job/hobbies : Company Director
Humor : Tag and Release
Registration date : 2009-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content