RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE

2 posters

Go down

FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE Empty FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE

Post  rastasman Fri Dec 18 2009, 12:39

Hi

Jetski fishing newbie here. Just bought a 2005 SeaDoo Wake and am unsure of suitable fishfinder/GPS setup. I would like some independant recommendations on suitable fishfinder/GPS model for in-hull transducer installation. Any tips/trips to this sort of installation would also be helpful. All advice/information will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nick

rastasman

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE Empty FF/GPS Assistance & Wiring a Secondary "Safety" Battery

Post  Innsie Sun Dec 20 2009, 09:34

Hi rastasman and well done on making the move to jetskifishing. You'll soon be as "hooked" as the rest of us!

I have a seadoo RXTX and have a Lowrance 522c installed. Transducer is mounted thru the hull, sited towards the rear. Don't worry - the instructions book is pretty good at advising best place and how to mount.

The main display unit is mounted through the front storage/glove compartment lid which should be similar to yours. This means you can simply replace the lid and take the GPS/FF with you should you ever sell the ski. Use rubber grommets to keep it all tidy. Mine is cut out and mounted up about 10mm on a bead of black silicon that blends in well. This keeps storage room available in the compartment and looks great. Run cabling through front side wall so it's all cosmetically fine.

I have just installed (today) a centrally mounted separate battery purely to run the GPS/FF and some LED Nav lights. I no longer want to run the risk of having low main battery and inability to crank the engine. While that hasn't been an issue (FF has voltage display so you can keep an eye on it), I am fishing wider and prefer to have the added safety. It doesn't cost much to do and I figure is a good investment. I strongly recommend you consider the same while having your FF installed.

I've also run a separate 3m feed of +/- cables with alligator clips on the end, from the spare (GPS/FF) battery to the engine area. I have an isolater switch inbetween to isolate the positive so it isn't actually hanging around live. I also have electrical insulation tape on the clips just in case... to ensure I don;t have arcing if the switch ever failed! I now simply need to remove the tape off the positive alligator clip, attach the clips to my main battery terminals, flick the isolating switch, and I'll have an instant boost for my main battery if ever needed. This also means I can reach the cables about 2 metres out from my ski should some other fishoe need a boost! It's a great peace of mind safety thing.

I find Lowrance awesome. Colour display is clear and high vis. Features are great. Just make sure you buy one with GPS so you can track your drifts to run back up it and repeat the same drift when you're onto a great spot.

Hope this helps a little. I know that a lot of the guys over here use Raymarine. Some models are a step up but so is the cost.

Good luck!
Innsie
Innsie

Male
Number of posts : 198
PWC : Seadoo RXT-X
Best fish landed on your ski : 2m Bronze Whaler off Motihue... well almost landed but cut the line!
Job/hobbies : Finance Adviser / Broker / Business Consultant / Snapper Whisperer / Comedian
Humor : Flight of the Conchords - RULE
Registration date : 2009-05-15

http://www.pfgroup.co.nz

Back to top Go down

FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE Empty Re: FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE

Post  rastasman Sun Dec 20 2009, 11:15

Hi Innsie

That's brilliant mate - exactly the sort of info I was after. May your generousity be rewarded with a trophy sized snapper on your next outing!

Cheers,
Nick

rastasman

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE Empty Re: FISHFINDER/GPS ASSISTANCE

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down