RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Launching at Hahei

5 posters

Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty Launching at Hahei

Post  taurangajet Sun Nov 02 2008, 05:13

Hi Guys,

Anyone ever tried launching at Hahei?? There's a boat ramp at Cooks beach but, thats a fair trek from Hahei and the other guys I'm going out with are all on kayaks and can launch from the beach. Not sure about launching from the beach, I know it can go wrong very quickly!!!! There is a small river at the north end of the beach but not sure if it's deep enough for a ski. ANyone able to help

P.S. Went out fishing on Saturday and all I got was very wet in all that chop!!! Was trying to fish one of my favourite spots at the exit by the Mount on an outgoing tide but the wind kept pushing me back into the main channel. Just my luck, Saturday was like a flipping motorway with all the container vessels coming in and out. Fortunately, the ski started everytime so I was able to motor out of the way, 100,000 of tonnes of vessel bearing down on me always makes me a little nervous affraid

J
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty Re: Launching at Hahei

Post  Ducky Sun Nov 02 2008, 09:03

This is unique... I was actually going to post the exact same question... heading that way in a couple of weeks and have no idea... will try to research and let you know if I have any luck!
Ducky
Ducky

Male
Number of posts : 138
PWC : Seadoo GTX
Job/hobbies : Jetski, kayaking, fishing, computers, mountain biking...
Humor : Very much!
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing Sun Nov 02 2008, 17:54

Hi Julian, great to hear you did get out, even if no fish. As you may have heard we did aswell, for no fish, very windy and wet. Put the ski's through the elements and the body is pretty sore to today! Even have handle bar marks impressioned on the palms of my hands Exclamation
Hopefully someone has the Hahei knowledge, as it always helps so you don't end up in a bad situation.
Today looks like the day to be on the water! Better luck next time, can't wait for a great report of fish from Tauranga!
Jetskifishing
Jetskifishing
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 735
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : Snapper - 17 Pound, Kingfish - 19 kilo
Job/hobbies : The jetskifishing guy
Humor : Funny Ha!Ha!
Registration date : 2008-10-14

http://www.jetskifishing.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Sun Nov 02 2008, 18:45

Hi Julian... have spent considerable time researching this and now have some (although limited information)

It looks like the locals put their boats in from the beach, and of course use tractors; there seems to be no other access from here other than the beach. I am trying to ring the local camping ground to see if they have a tractor that could be used to get the ski in and out of the water... amazing what a dozen beer can do when offered... will let you know if I get any results!

Driving west there is a double boat ramp in the eastern corner of cooks beach... I'd estimate around a 15min drive away. From here it is approximately 5.5km (10- 15min ride) back to Hahei beach. At first I thought that this would be a nuisance, however now considering I travel upto 6-10 miles to get to a local fishing spot here in Auckland, then 3.5 miles isn't exactly a long stretch!

The only other option I can see is then leaving from Whitianga... would be easier in a way, however will add another 20min to the drive time, and another 2.5 miles to your ride... still not really a huge distance!

Remember that there is a significant marine reserve area off Hahei... just keep to the right of the main island directly off from the beach and you should be fine!.. the only problem you may have is that fact that you have to drive through it to get to my favorite fishing area... not good if MAF is around and thinks you look suspicious!

Will update as I can!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty REsearching Hahei

Post  taurangajet Sun Nov 02 2008, 20:30

Hi Ducky,

There's a whole bunch of us heading up on the 28th November, I think, wife makes all the arrangements, I just drive, so if you're up there on the same weekend we can meet up and go out for a fish. The other guys have got Kayaks and they're planning to paddle out to the Island and fish outside the reserve. Apparently the reserve is marked by Bouys.

I've seen them launching with the tractors at Hahei, so as you suggest a crate of beer is probably the best option if you want to go off the beach but, I was wondering if you could put in at the river mouth safely?
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Mon Nov 03 2008, 07:05

Okay.... another update!

I have rung around some of the locals and it would seem that any 4x4 can access the beach with ease... pretty much no-one has ever been stuck there yet; problem for me is that I don't have a 4x4!

Tractors are around, but would need to be negotiated with the owners... generally those I have spoken to suggest ringing the local store for inquiries and numbers.

The second suggestion of the cooks beach river mouth is that you can enter here rather safely, however there is a sand bar at the exit to the sea... it is suggested that you do no access this 2 hours either side of low tide, however there is a feeling that as the jetski's are so small and close to the water, navigating this may not be a problem so long as you take your time... and if you were to get up planning then you won't need much water to get across... worst case you may need a new prop after sucking up the sand!

In all honesty I will be up there from the 15th to the 19th of this month, so on my return I may well be spurting forth with wisdom and information... who knows, I may even share it for free!

Hope that this helps, and as for the weekend of the 28th, I will well consider your offer and may come along... would be great to know that at least one of you have a 4x4 and are happy to use it on the beach! Nothing else can really stop us!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Mon Nov 03 2008, 08:59

Thanks for all that information!!! Very Happy

BM
Admin

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty 4x4

Post  taurangajet Mon Nov 03 2008, 20:37

Hi,

Fortunately, I've got a 4x4 but it's an SUV, so not a real 4x4 as it only locks 4 wheels electronically but it should be ok. Happy to help if your up there that weekend. If it all goes wrong, I tell the locals I'm from Auckland and they'll pull out the Jaffa and dine out on the story for weeks Very Happy

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty How did it go?

Post  taurangajet Tue Nov 18 2008, 08:58

Hi Ducky,

How did it go at Hahei???

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Tue Nov 18 2008, 21:33

Well all in all mate, it was wonderful really! The weather wasn't exactly supporting us, but being out on the water in such a picturesque place makes it worth it for sure!

To begin with I had two mates turn up with kayaks, so kayak fishing was the main event of the days we were there, in fact only really got the ski in the water to test the access to the sea for you guys who plan to go up soon... If you put in at cooks beach you only have a 10min ride (or less) to get back to hahei and some great fishing sites. Beach access would actually be a little scary... the waves are small, but they dump onto the sand quite fiercely... even timing the kayaks into the beach can be difficult.

So cooks beach access: Easy... even at low tide! Only ten min drive from the Hahei camping ground, heaps of parking and great ramp for easy access. stick to the dark water (channel following the river path) and you are fine... Worst case you may have to walk your ski over the sand bar... but not a problem really. With the islands you can find shelter rather easily, although the best fishing areas are a bit further out to sea... too close in and all you seem to get is leather jackets sneaking nibbles off your baits.

All in all a great place to head to... highly recommended too... Hahei is beautiful.

Here's something to inspire you all...

Launching at Hahei Snapper3ia5
Launching at Hahei W240

Caught off Hahei...
23.8lb weight....
692mm in length...
Didn't really put much of a fight all things considered... but boy what a catch!!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing Wed Nov 19 2008, 06:49

Great fish Ducky, if that was on your ski that would be a record!
Jetskifishing
Jetskifishing
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Wed Nov 19 2008, 07:41

Thanks mate... and next one will be off the ski... want that title shot yet!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty great fish

Post  taurangajet Wed Nov 19 2008, 09:27

Hi Ducky,

Looking forward to Hahei even more than before having seen that monster. Thanks for the info on Cooks beach, looks like I'll be motoring round or hitching a ride on a kayak.

Cheers

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Wed Nov 19 2008, 09:36

So... the 28th still on mate?? I'm probably keen to tag along.... its far enough to get away and yet close enough to get home should the weather pack in!

Booking cabins maybe an issue should you be keen for that... camping is not really an issue at this time of the year should that be up your alley.

Hahei camp has heaps of space, endless free showers (with great pressure) and then cooks beach boat ramp only 12min or so drive away. Whitianga is only 35 min away should you be keen to visit, or leave from the top end of cooks beach and catch the passenger ferry (only $2 each way) to the township for an evening meal etc... ferry goes right up to 11pm each night, and you never have to wait for more than 5 minutes!

Anyway.. should we start a new thread for keen fishermen (er fisherwomen)?

I'm sure I'll be keen!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty Weekend of 28th

Post  taurangajet Thu Nov 20 2008, 08:32

Hi Ducky,

Would be awesome if you wanted to come up and go out for a fish but, I warn you now, the girls are coming and this is an antenatal get together so 5 little rug rats (14 months old) and a couple of 9 year olds will also be there.

The boys are planning on going out and doing some fishing and maybe a bit of snorkelling but, not sure how long our 'pass outs' will last before we're back on nappy duty!!!!! I suspect we'll get out in the morning but will be brow beaten and back on baby duty by 11am!!

If you wanted to come up we're staying in the cabins, so its fishing, snorkelling and sea food for dinner with a few beers.

How's your nappy changing skills??? affraid

Hope the wife doesn't read this!!!!

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Sat Nov 22 2008, 08:56

Well I would normal be keen, and nappies are not an issue... have a few nieces and nephews of my own so find that its part of life, but have also just remembered that I have an event on this coming weekend, and as I am hosting it at my place feel it important that I attend! Thanks anyway mate... always keep me informed of any potential trips!
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty Ha Hei warning - you can never have enough information

Post  taurangajet Fri Dec 05 2008, 01:08

Ok, I did all the right things, checked with the camp site and 'yes' you can launch off the beach with a 4 wheel drive so I set off on Saturday morning at 6am looking forward to a fish only to have a nightmare!!

The sand was pretty soft which had me worried but, given that everybody else does it I figured I'd be ok. Got as far as backing up and started to get stuck. Out of the car; dug out behind the wheels and had another go only to sink a little deeper affraid At this point I was at the point of no return as I couldn't drive up the beach onto the soft sand, only backwards into the incoming tide!!! Dug out again behind the wheels and this time I managed to back up a couple of metres before getting stuck again and this time only a few centremetres off grounding the car!!!
By this point I was seriously worried and drastic action was required so I opted to unhook the jetski in an effort to save the car. Swung the jetski round to give me room to back up, dug the car out and to my relief, the car got going and I didn't stop til I was back on the road! Ok, car saved, now the Jetski. To be honest, I wasn't too worried about the jetski. I knew I'd be able to float the jetski off as the tide came in and the trailers easy to move without 400kgs of jetski.

Anyway, as I waited for the tide to come in, help arrived with Ray and his tractor. He'd seen me struggling and come down to help although as the hon coast guard he did ask me to promise to get my jetski registered which I've since done. Interestingly, we don't have to register Jetski's in the BOP so I wasn't aware of this rule and he could have fined me $100 but instead he put the ski into the water so we could go out for a fish and towed the trailer round to the car. cheers

I told Ray what the campsite said and he confirmed you could launch off the beach with a 4x4 but, not around high tide. However, he told me to give him a call if I ever needed putting in the future. Thanks Ray...

Incidently, didn't catch any thing and I got a mate to drive the car round to Cooks beach for the retrive but, the car didn't get wet so all in all not a bad day. However, I did drop my phone in the water so $400 up the spout but, I've come to the conclusion there's no such thing as a cheap day out on the water. Fortunately, it's a company mobile Smile and I got it replaced with a waterproof one.
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing Fri Dec 05 2008, 01:28

Great trip report, any story with or without fish is great reading. We have all had days like that! and putting the info here, helps others learn from our experiences lol!
Better luck next trip.

Last edited by Jetskifishing on Fri Dec 05 2008, 03:02; edited 1 time in total
Jetskifishing
Jetskifishing
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty Beach Launching and driving in sand

Post  Aka Hooter Fri Dec 05 2008, 02:51

When it comes to driving on sand its all about tyre pressure any 4 wd should be able to go most places in sand with the tyre pressure let down to 18 psi if its really soft and hot sand maybe even as low as 12 lb. We have a set of tyre deflators set at 18 psi just screw them on to the valve stem and sit back and have a cool drink. Simply pump them back up when you are about to go back onto the tar road.

Cheers HootLaunching at Hahei Fraser24Launching at Hahei Fraser25
Aka Hooter
Aka Hooter

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Fri Dec 05 2008, 07:26

Certainly appreciate the info, and sorta feel a little off having heard your 'issues' with the beach landing... real bummer mate, but at least we have all learnt from this experience! I was certainly reassured that this was an everyday activity and no-one ever mentioned anyone previously getting stuck!!

Well... Cooks Beach, it maybe from now on, but a beautiful place all the same!

Thanks again...
Ducky
Ducky

Male

Back to top Go down

Launching at Hahei Empty tyre deflation

Post  taurangajet Sat Dec 06 2008, 06:12

Hi Hooter,

Thanks for the tip, I keep this in mind next time I go out on the sand.

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: