RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparkplugs....

3 posters

Go down

Sparkplugs.... Empty Sparkplugs....

Post  softbaiter Sat Dec 13 2008, 05:25

Had a small starting issue today while out on the ski, ended up getting it going again on 3 cyls, putted home and then half way back the 4th cyl kicked back in and it ran fine the rest of the way home. I think I may have fouled the plugs a little idling around a lot before I turned off the ski and the plugs being on their last legs with weak spark and not the best connections broke down and caused the misfire and stopped it starting. The anchor was very useful I must say. Did a compression test and they are all fine, need to get the compressor going so i can do a leakdown, but im confident i have solved the issue

Got home and started pulling it to bits, discovered some very worn plugs, you could see where the HT lead had been arc'ing on the top of #1 plug, Anyhoo the plugs in my FX are Cr9eb NGK's and are like hens teeth to get hold at short notice of i discovered after a few phonecalls, I did discover that the cr9e is the same plug, the B on the end designates a special design, in this case fixed tip on the top of the plug. So I went over to full throttle motorcycles in puke and picked up a new set of plugs.... and some tips to screw on them. I fitted them and MY GOD what a different ski, it starts if you breathe on the starter button idles sooooo smooth compared to before, just purrs.

I have assembled a small tool kit to take with me now!
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Sparkplugs.... Empty FX160HO plugs

Post  swasy Sun Dec 14 2008, 02:45

Hi

I have a similar problem with my FX160HO, at 50 hrs I was out in the gulf and from the get go could not get max rev or speed out of it...It may be that I had idled the thing to long during the winter (when not riding, weather was terrible allot) and just fouled the plugs (only one actually badly fouled but replaced the lot).

Also I have been told that if you run the 91 octane in them (and you can of course) and then leave the ski without using it for a while the fuel deteriorates (losses octane/power) and can foul plugs also...I now run 98 octane as preferred or 96 if unavailable.
Out of interest what does the kit consist of (i would like to do my own if need be). any special warnings around changing them yourself?

Keith
swasy
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Sparkplugs.... Empty Re: Sparkplugs....

Post  Jase Sun Dec 14 2008, 06:03

Hey Guys
Sparkplugs are one of those items that do a fairly important job but normally get over looked if there is a engine issue,they are cheap and should always be the first thing to be changed if you feel that your craft is not going right.
Another thing to look at is unscrewing the plug cap off the leads and trimming the lead back a little to get a good contact again you'll be amazed at the diffrence.
jase
Jase
Jase

Male
Number of posts : 45
Job/hobbies : Workshop Manager for pwc,setting up fast skis,racing
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Sparkplugs.... Empty Sparkplugs

Post  swasy Tue Dec 16 2008, 09:05

Hi Jase
Thanks for that, just out of interest where is your workshop? what brands of ski do you sell?

Keith
swasy
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase Wed Dec 17 2008, 06:06

Hi Keith
we are a seadoo dealership but can supply any make,and we work on all brands of jetski from services to full rebuilds
the shop is Woodbine Marine on Ti Rakau drive
cheers
Jase
Jase
Jase

Male
Number of posts : 45
Job/hobbies : Workshop Manager for pwc,setting up fast skis,racing
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content