RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Newbie question re safety

+3
swasy
2-EXTREME
IANKH
7 posters

Go down

Real Newbie question re safety Empty Real Newbie question re safety

Post  IANKH Wed Jun 17 2009, 21:18

I've been reading most ofthe posts and have learnt a lot about the sport from this forum
I've finally decided to buy a Yamaha fx160ho and will no doubt be asking a lot more questions regarding setting it up for fishing in the future.

Here's a real newbie question for starters!

My concern is that as I'm likely to be fishing alone most of the time, normally not more than a couple of miles offshore. My main concern is although that I am very safety concious and will take all the necessary precautions: service the ski as per manual, carry all the safety equipment, spare plugs, spare battery etc etc I can still get a mechanical failure and be unable to get ashore under my own steam. With my boat it is not a problem as I have had the luxury of an auxiliary engine.

So my question is -(I'm sure you can see it coming!) Is it possible/practical to carry a spare battery and a small electric trolling motor (which could be attached if required to the frame built for carrying the cooler box) which would provide enough drive to get ashore from a couple of miles out? I've seen kayakers do this quite succesfully but cannot find any refrence to it being done on a jetski.
I agree that a wingman is the way to go but this is not always possible.
Any fx160ho owners out there with any comments regarding reliability etc or am I being overly cautious??

IANKH

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Real Newbie question re safety Empty Re: Real Newbie question re safety

Post  2-EXTREME Thu Jun 18 2009, 01:28

Good points and great you have made the decision to get into it!!

The chances of breaking down are very low if you keep you ski well maintained, but like you say there is that one time something may happen. Best advice I would give anyone on this forum is to ensure you have at least one if not two methods of communication so someone can be alerted. In NZ we have a great Coastguard service that is never really too far away.

Possibly someone else on here may be able to offer additional advice, but from my point the electric aux motor would be more trouble and drama than its worth.
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Real Newbie question re safety Empty Breakdown

Post  swasy Thu Jun 18 2009, 04:52

Hi Ian

Good questions. the following will help you to be safe and comfortable...

I recommend the following:

1/ Maintain Ski (Battery, oil, filters etc.)
2/ If you have a fouled plug at sea and cannot get to shore you wont be replacing plugs at sea to dangerous (both for you and the motor)

Safety Equipment Minimum:

1/ Life Jacket - if you are by yourself allot I'd recommend one that supports your neck fully if you're in the water and unconscious with the other type you will likely drown, sorry to be blunt but the vest types with no neck support are fine if you are with people and will not be in the water long. But it sounds as though you may be alone allot...

2/ Radio and or Mobile Phone goes with out saying really.

3/ Notification Let someone no where your going and when you expect to be back

4/ Anchor system If you do breakdown (and its unlikely with a late model FX160HO) but stuff happens. Having a good anchor system could save heaps of grief - drifting into rocks etc. easy to set one up could save your ski (and you) - Anchor rope can also

5/ Alternative power source If your keen on paddling buy a collapsible oar.

6/ Flares and some sort of high visibility material suitable for waving around to attract attention.

7/ Spare Fresh Water we all need it.

I'm sure the others will add their comments also.

Enjoy your FX160HO they are a great ski...what is the history of yours?

Regards

Keith cheers
swasy
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ken124 Fri Jun 19 2009, 06:37

Hi Ian, I'm new to Jetski fishing myself, I had all the concern's that you have so I tried to eliminate them one by one. First, VHF radio, mine is fitted into the ski and I put in a 2 mt aerial which gives me a 25 mile radius, I can actually talk to coastguard in Tauranga from Kaiaua. It's a bit of a hassle when fishing but it's worth it to know that you can call someone if needed. I also have a depthsounder fitted, both of these work of a separate battery and they are both charged from the alternator. The ski battery starts the ski but should it fail I can flick a switch and use the other battery. They are both charged from the alternator. I also have like most of us, flares, torch, mobile phone etc. I also have a screw together kayak paddle which is velcroed to the side of the ski. I also fish on my own, hope this is some help to you. Ken
ken124
ken124

Male
Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : line haul driver/jetskifishing
Registration date : 2009-03-23

http://kdhogan@xtra.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  IANKH Fri Jun 19 2009, 07:11

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply.
I like the idea of having a fixed vhf radio and fish finder/gps hard wired on the ski and powered through a 2nd battery charged by the altenator is a good one. Having the ability to link both batteries to give a power boost for starting is a good safety feature as is the added range of the fixed VHF.

What ski have you made the mods to? Where have you located the battery? Have you used a deep cycle battery as your additional battery? Is it possible to post a photo of your mods?

Swasy also referred to having a collapsible paddle - How effective are they, is it possbile to paddle a ski any distance?

I think Swasy also mate an excellent point regarding having a lifejacket which supports ones head above water rather than a bouancy aid. I'm thinking about using an auto inflatable lifejacket and keep spare gas cartridges on board.

Many thanks for the good advice
Ian

IANKH

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ken124 Fri Jun 19 2009, 07:47

Hi, Ian, My Jetski is a Honda 3 seater F-12X and the battery is located in the front compartment which is mounted in fibreglass on the side of the ski so doesn't interfer with the 100 litre storage capacity holder. I used a 18 amp hour Deep cycle battery, when the ski battery is fully charged it automatically swaps to the other battery and charges that. There is a switch that you turn which allows you to start from the spare battery should the ski battery go flat. All electronics are run off the spare battery. The paddle is only a backup desparation thing and you wouldn't want to do long distances, just peace of mind. I have a Collared outer limits lifejacket that I wear all the time I'm on the ski, I don't find it a problem fishing with it on, I would rather have a lifejacket on if I fell in the water than not. I am looking at purchasing a wetsuit between 2 & 3mm thickness two peice, you can get them made with a flyzip for a extra $50 so am in the process of sorting that out. I think like others that if you fall in the water and lose your ski, a lifejacket will keep you bouyant but it won't stop you getting hypothermia. A wetsuit will do both. I have just bought some wetsuit side zip booties as my feet freeze and they have decent soles for on rock. All these things cost money but peace of mind is worth everything im to good with computers ive uploaded photos before and they dont seem to get there. thanks
ken124
ken124

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  98InTheHole Sat Jun 20 2009, 12:57

I've had the "pleasure" of having to paddle on a ski for about 2 miles, with no current and wind helping a bit, it was a serious pain, my back almost broke, but it was doable, I have to say the collapsible oar was a real life saver, I never go out without one. I wouldn't use it to fight a current, but it is helpful for "stearing" the ski out of trouble. I never leave without a mobile phone and a VHF radio either, in case real help is needed, that's a must.

Good luck!
98InTheHole
98InTheHole

Male
Number of posts : 5
Humor : Fine, you caught it, now what?
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  wotzy77 Mon Jun 22 2009, 12:20

I noticed no one mentioned EPIRB? In West Oz you cant go more than 2 nautical miles out without an Emergency Position Indicating Rescue Beacon (for life threatening emergencys only) and you are limited to five nautical miles on a PWC.

Ken, you have that dual battery setup that makes my mouth water!!!! It certainly puts your mind at ease to have back up saftey strategys.
And having your mind at ease is the key. I can relate... I have been doing experiments with free dive style spearfishing from a ski, let me just say, jumping off your ski and swimming away does not put your mind at ease!!! Realising you cant see it any more because the swell puts it out of veiw is terrifying.
While im at it.... Freediving should never be done alone. As similar to boating alone...which brings me to the statement that...

If you are seperated from the ski the only thing that gets you back to shore (other than swimming) is the person you told reporting to the coast guard that you havnt returned home, who some how find you, in all that water!!!!

Its not like you will have time to pop the hood and grab the epirb as a rogue wave washs you from the ski... or in my case the drift anchor breaks for unknown reason and the ski blows away and i cant catch it!

I would like to see an inflatable life jacket that has a personel epirb and flare attached that is also capable of diving 20 odd meters (on a real good day!!)
this would allow you to be completely seperated from the ski ie knocked out, and then communicate for help instantly when you wake.

I have been very careful so far and hope to bring some great storys to you all in the years to come....

So How Unbeleivably Cool Is this WEb Site!!!!!
UnBeeLEEVaBoooL
alien cheers drunken sunny cherry farao Surprised Very Happy
wotzy77
wotzy77

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ken124 Mon Jun 22 2009, 20:09

Hi wotzy i'm lucky enough to have a place under the back seat two water tight compartments one for epirb and torch and the other for fire extingushier you have a good point i do have epirb but forgot to bring it up,im not a diver but that inflatable life jacket and epirb sounds like a good idear. Yes this website is awsume i dont think i would have brought a ski without it most of the things i have on my ski are ideas of this site i certainley fell much safer out there on my own. In n.z. we can give coastguard a report of where we are going for that day,how many people on board etc, then let them know you are back safely at the end of the day do you have that over there.thanks ken.
ken124
ken124

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Tue Jun 23 2009, 08:20

Very good points. And certainly glad to hear that the website and forum has generated so much interest, enthusiasm and assistance in converting and support those who have come across to the most addictive, habit forming sportfishing method in the WORLD!!

On a safety note I am currently attaching my waterproof VHF to a fishing/tackle vest that I wear whilst fishing. This will mean that if I ever become totally seperated from the ski and no chance of getting to it, I will have communication of some form with me. A freind of mine who is a World Jetboating Champion many times over also gave me an idea of strapping a single waterproof flare to either my leg or vest as this is what he has done for years.

The best thing I love about fishing these winter months is it makes you think more and more about safety ideas in order to survive if the worst was to ever happen, even though the chances are slim, it is better to be prepared and never need it, than to need it and have nothing!!!

Latest apparel item purchased this week is a Balaclave from Kathmandu. They are having a huge sale and are only $17 down from like $39!! Bargain, and this will compliment my beanie over the top and large googles to ensure a very warm ride indeed.

Warmth is the key due to signifcant loss of strentgh and motor skills whiulst riding if you get too cold and you cannot afford for your core body temp to get too low. (Aye Andy and Ian !!)

I did some online calculations with the assistance of google to figure out how cold the wind chill was on Sunday morning when heading out to Noises/David Rocks and surrounds. Anyway the wind chill factor at 50+MPH where I seemed to spend far too much time on Sunday Twisted Evil comes in at a chilly -2 degrees celsius and once wet this can drop to between -6 & -8 degree celsuis. ("NO WONDER scratch said Andy I'm still cold 2 days later after wearing my mankini on Sunday!!")
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Innsie Thu Jun 25 2009, 09:24

2 Extreme - my wife (unprompted) purchased my balaklava from Kathmandu this week. Bargain!!! Which bank you targetting first? Laughing
Innsie
Innsie

Male
Number of posts : 198
PWC : Seadoo RXT-X
Best fish landed on your ski : 2m Bronze Whaler off Motihue... well almost landed but cut the line!
Job/hobbies : Finance Adviser / Broker / Business Consultant / Snapper Whisperer / Comedian
Humor : Flight of the Conchords - RULE
Registration date : 2009-05-15

http://www.pfgroup.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Fri Jun 26 2009, 00:31

Good to see she is supporting your interests!!

As for a bank, your the Finance Advisor, which would you recommend....!! lol!
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Innsie Fri Jun 26 2009, 07:57

Easy mate. Westpac. You don't even need to wear anything. Ask for a $10k Overdraft and they'll credit yourt account MILLIONS lol!
Innsie
Innsie

Male
Number of posts : 198
PWC : Seadoo RXT-X
Best fish landed on your ski : 2m Bronze Whaler off Motihue... well almost landed but cut the line!
Job/hobbies : Finance Adviser / Broker / Business Consultant / Snapper Whisperer / Comedian
Humor : Flight of the Conchords - RULE
Registration date : 2009-05-15

http://www.pfgroup.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down