RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!!

4 posters

Go down

WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!! Empty WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!!

Post  penpony28 Sat Oct 31 2009, 23:16

Well being a newbie I was unaware that jet ski's don't handle well through ferry wakes.

Pretty much full throttle prob doing about 80kph hit the ferry wake and came flying off!! didn't even know what had hit me!! So for those of you who want to know what its like hitting water at 80kph well I cant remember what it felt like but It sure did knock the wind right out of me!! Was def a good lesson learnt today I think I came out lucky I say. Mate of mine cam off his a while back broke his collar bone!! And now I know what the kill switch strap is for!!!!.... and I put it to good use today (I bailed on purpose to see if the kill switch strap works hahahah)!! Thanks Yamaha!...
Good times!!

penpony28

Male
Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : Fishing, Fishing and jet ski fishing!
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.kalessibathroomware.co.nz

Back to top Go down

WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!! Empty Re: WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!!

Post  Scowner Sun Nov 01 2009, 00:54

Very lucky. Water is very hard at speed. How come you didnt see it coming? You should always be keeping an eye out for boat wakes and larger swells and other obstacles in the water.
I think this is what your face would have looked like WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!! Affraid
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetskifishing Sun Nov 01 2009, 03:50

Hi PenPony, pleased you got out and hopefully some other newbies will learn from your experience. Hope all went well with your rod holder with the incident, look forward to hearing your fisrt successful fishing report soon.
Jetskifishing
Jetskifishing
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 735
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : Snapper - 17 Pound, Kingfish - 19 kilo
Job/hobbies : The jetskifishing guy
Humor : Funny Ha!Ha!
Registration date : 2008-10-14

http://www.jetskifishing.co.nz

Back to top Go down

WATCH OUT FOR FERRY WAKES!! Empty Rod holder held on strong.

Post  penpony28 Sun Nov 01 2009, 04:45

Yeah I didn't see the ferry wake not sure why I think i was just looking a head of me to much.... and once i saw it thought I gota take it. The ultimate rod holder did bloody well.... To my surprise didn't look bothered at all. Ah well good lesson learnt today. No fish though!!! was weak today.

penpony28

Male
Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : Fishing, Fishing and jet ski fishing!
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.kalessibathroomware.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Sun Nov 01 2009, 04:53

At least you are not the first and all good that you were unharmed other than a little cold!!!!

I would have to say that, jetskis do and can handle ferry wakes when you are prepared and take them on accordingly.

Hitting one at 45 degrees to the bow would unsettle most craft at pace even a 7 metre trailer boat. I know of a driver who was completely obliviuos to it, hit the wake and it threw him from the steering wheel across into the passenger who sub sequently went off the left side of the boat into the water. NO KILL CORD attached to the driver so whilst he was on the floor the boat was still going flat out. Came out ok but could have been far worse....imagine if the driver was knocked unconcious........!!

Anyway you live and learn and with skis or any boating for that matter..all out there should take it easy and build up slowly learning you and your crafts capabilities rather than going balls out and finding out the hard way.

Good to have you out and hopefully you fill your bin next time.
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down