RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade

+5
momo
2-EXTREME
softbaiter
Scowner
9 posters

Go down

what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade Empty what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade

Post  newbie Wed Nov 11 2009, 18:51

Hi All,

Im currently looking at upgrading my Kawasaki STX 1100 98 model (fantastic machine and mint as) but brought it with the intensions for Wakeboarding and sking etc, hence the 2 stroke up and go.

I now am hooked more on the fishing and want to upgrade my ski to a four stroke and something newer.

I have looked at two skis im interested in a Yamaha VX110 07 model and a Seadoo GTX 4 1500

as this was a Seadoo dealer, he has convinced me on the Seadoo and told me all the benfits.
Im pretty much sold from what he said. more storage, better hours, different intake for if weed and sand gets stuck.
larger hull etc etc,

With the Yamaha, he didnt push this at all, no storage different hull/ plastic and fiberglass. intake expensive to get fixed if weed or sand gets stuck.

I am hearing different stories from everyone, I just want a reliable ski and suitable for fishing and wakeboarding if needed.
good on gas and can handle the chop (most important).

Also the GTX I looked at had a problem with the last owner using the learning key for a year and not knowing about the other key (didnt have one I think), anyhow costed him 5000.00 to get a new key and get the CPU unit fixed.

Does this sound common for Seadoo's and will I be looking at these sort of bills in the future with any of these models?

Your thoughts on a good ski between 02 and 06 year would be muchly appreciated.

Also, My ski is up for sale and a great ski for the entry level, heaps of power, well maintained, new engine 10 hours ago.
listed on trade me Listing #: 253271545 .

cheers guys,

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Back to top Go down

what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade Empty Re: what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade

Post  Scowner Wed Nov 11 2009, 19:23

There are lots of uninformed opinions out there. You often hear people dissing Seadoo for example and then the next person is dissing Yamaha. I think all the brands have had issues with particular models or particular years.
I think the 3 seater 4stroke Yamaha and Seadoo models from 2002 on are good. It just personal preference on the features you want and the purpose you will be using it for. And of course how much dollero $$$ you want to spend.

good luck.
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade Empty Re: what Ski do you recomend for Jet ski Fishing and why/ upgrade

Post  newbie Wed Nov 11 2009, 21:12

thanks Scowner,

Have you had any issues with yours, how long have you owned for and what are the benifits for you that you choose the GTX

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Wed Nov 11 2009, 21:33

I have FX140 Yammie, Great storage, Trim, Factory bilge pump, great fuel efficiency. Plenty of wakeboarder/biscuit towing power, and trimmed right up on a good day I have hit 100kmh. The hull handles great and is a fairly dry riding ski. A Buddy of mine in California also has one of these skis and has done several thousand hours with nothing more than oil and sparkplug and wear ring changes.

Only issue I have ever had was a hard start issue when anchored in the fast current out in the manukau, ive pretty much figured out that this is due to the fast current generating enough pressure in the jet unit to feed some water into the exhaust and have fitted a ballcock to the water inlet line, which I will turn off if sitting anchored in current for any period of time - Also will aid water pressure when flushing the motor.
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Thu Nov 12 2009, 07:39

I could talk for hours on this subject and also spend far too much time typing as I have said plenty beofre hidden in the plethora of information on this site. Call me if you like and I will give you an accurate opinion from my perspective. The Kawasaki you are selling is a great ski but I can appreciate your desire to upgrade as we all have over time. (4th Ski for me now)

As for the guy who got stung $5000 for new key and CPU ..... sorry but he got ripped from what I know. Someone more well informed can correct me but what a joke. Unless you have a long standing relationship with a repairer, it pays to get a second opinion before parting with $$$$.

Cheers
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  momo Thu Nov 12 2009, 09:20

heres what i did..
spoke to owners of all brands, i knew a few by then...
Remeber everyones going to fly the flag they wear. So i put yourself in your place.. Ask,research,try out if possible, then make a educated informed decision..

All i can tell ya is i have had my RXT for a year now. its done about 90 hours.. serviced etc and never had any issues.. its a 06..
wont look back but would love a rxt-x.. all comes down to how much you have and what you are willing and wanting to do.. GL.

Mo

momo

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Innsie Thu Nov 12 2009, 10:12

Newbie, trust your gut mate. 2002 onward - all pretty good whatever brand.

Mo - you should chat to me mate (021) 667 878 before I list mine on Trademe. After we chatted the other day, my view is you don't need a "tweaked" RXT-X. They're quick enough and from my days in tweaking motors of all sorts... that creates more chance of problem, more fuel usage, shorter engine/supercharger life and often unreliability! If you're aiming to use mainly for fishing, then it's reliability, economy and re-sale value you want (a ski that'll appeal to most) as you'll probably be changing every year or two. I'll look after you if interested.
Innsie
Innsie

Male
Number of posts : 198
PWC : Seadoo RXT-X
Best fish landed on your ski : 2m Bronze Whaler off Motihue... well almost landed but cut the line!
Job/hobbies : Finance Adviser / Broker / Business Consultant / Snapper Whisperer / Comedian
Humor : Flight of the Conchords - RULE
Registration date : 2009-05-15

http://www.pfgroup.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  newbie Thu Nov 12 2009, 18:57

cheers 2 xtreme, will get hold of you to ask what your thoughts are.

any one wish to comment about what they have owned and what the recomend?
Open to your thoughts before I part with the cash for a newer ski.

cheers guys

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  aleigh Thu Nov 12 2009, 20:12

Like has been said here already - go and look at the ski's esp if wanting to get an idea of storage
JFK's in Manukau have Seadoo and Kawasaki
Family Boats on Ti Rakau have Yamaha and Woodbine next door have Seadoo

From what Andrew has said and I'd concur, a longer more modern ski is better
newer Yamaha's, Ultra LX Kawasaki - not sure about Seedoos but someone can no doubt help you.
Fishing is more about getting there and then floating whereas most jetski owners buy to have a great time mainly so the shorter ski's may be better handling (don't know)
I have Kawasaki STX 15F and for fishing I reckon a longer ski would be more stable in rougher conditions and also pushing through waves (just my take anyway)
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  HOTBODZ Wed Nov 18 2009, 08:28

Dont waste your time with woodbine .
HOTBODZ
HOTBODZ

Male
Number of posts : 179
PWC : 2008 SEADOO GTX LTD 215 SUPERCHARGED
Best fish landed on your ski : 7lb Snapper
Job/hobbies : Company Director
Humor : Tag and Release
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  memfis Wed Nov 18 2009, 10:02

my dads got an 06 vx110 and its clockin 470 hrs and still runs sweet, but he rides it like a girl! but he is coming upto 60! lol! lol!
memfis
memfis

Male
Number of posts : 63
PWC : fx ho waverunner
Best fish landed on your ski : 13.1/2lb snapper
Job/hobbies : Refrigeration/ air con
Humor : Dont ask me!! i dont care.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down