RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anchor size

3 posters

Go down

anchor size Empty anchor size

Post  painter Sun Dec 27 2009, 09:06

Hi All
I may have missed a mention somewhere on the site but I was wondering what size drift anchor and sea anchor. I found on my first fish trip I was being driven towards the rocks (east) line was drifting (west) out to sea, no breeze to talk of, incoming tide.
painter
painter

Male
Number of posts : 13
PWC : honda f12x
Best fish landed on your ski : 7 gill 4.9kg
Job/hobbies : paint sprayer
Humor : english
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

anchor size Empty Re: anchor size

Post  Scowner Wed Feb 03 2010, 05:06

Nobody answered anchor size Icon_sad

Any small boat or maybe kayak sea anchor/drouge. Although a ski is much heavier than a kayak and catches more wind.

I have seen "small" being up to 6m and thats probably suitable
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Wed Feb 03 2010, 08:43

I use an Anchor at times, A Small Grapnel, then chain about 1.5 times the length of the ski and then 30 meters of rope. The Grapnel is small enough that you can bend the prongs straight if it gets stuck to get it out then straighten them up. It all fits into a 9l bucket which goes in the front storage

I run a buoy on the top of the anchor rope , then I clip a bow rope onto the buoy. I do this for a few reasons, if i need to go in a hurry or go ashore for any reason i can unclip and leave the Berley there/save time etc.A bow rope is connected to the nose of the ski, about 1m out it has a figure 8 loop with a carabiner that clips to the figure 8 loop on the buoy that is connected to the anchor warp. The other end of the bow rope you can lock in the front hatch so you can pull the bouy back and unclip. The bow rope you want to keep as short as possible, cut shorter than the intake grate if you can, floating rope is probably not a bad idea either.

I find a sea anchor is only any use when its wind against tide
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down