RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl

Go down

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl Empty The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl

Post  JetSkiBrian Sun Jan 17 2010, 03:38

My neighbor Julian and I have been raising oysters and restoring our adjoining waterfront property shorelines for a number of years. Last year was a milestone for us in that we completed over 2000 feet of shoreline reef restoration. This was a laborious and tedious process and all the shells were placed a couple bushels at a time and raked out by hand. I probably would not have done this if it were not for Julian who has pretty much dedicated his retirement years to giving back to the Bay. He is also an accomplished Chesapeake Bay and bluewater angler.
I have found it rewarding and I have enjoyed seeing the fruits of my labor grow. Restoration is a slow and gradual process with a lot of trial and error and we are seeing great natural strike on the shells we have placed. My long term goal is to have a self sustained shoreline and several adjacent shoreline reefs. This is my way of giving back to the Bay and being a giver not just a taker.
Julian and I are both members of TOGA, Tidewater Oyster Gardeners http://www.oystergardener.org/. We are a group that encourages the use of aquaculture to increase the population and growth of oysters in the Chesapeake Bay. We do this through educational seminars and one on one with waterfront property owners.
One of the most difficult parts of creating reefs and shoreline reefs is finding the shells. Since the bays oyster population is only at 1% of its historic high due primarily to over harvesting and then disease, there are not many shells to go around.
I would like to thank the people of Colonial Williamsburg http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/visit/ , particularly Executive Chef Rhys Lewis of the Williamsburg Lodge. He as well as his cadre of chefs see the benefit of saving the shells from the oysters they shuck so that they may be placed back in the bay. They will be saving the shells in their freezer so that I may pick them up weekly for use on future projects. This Spring I am going to give them a rubber boot tour of my shoreline reef so they can see what they are contributing to.

Here is picture of Chef Rhys and Chef Rodney ( we have also fished off shore together)

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0008e-2

A bucket full of shells.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0009c

Cooks Ed Smith and Latricia Foster with some freshly shucked oysters.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0005c-4

Yum!!

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0014e-1

The Williamsburg Lodge

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0013c-2

Part of our shore line reef at low tide.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0006m-1

Natural strike on a shell Bag.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0085-2

Natural Strike on reef.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl 67uy-1

I have Big Oysters. Ha.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0076a-6

An adjacent shoreline reef.

The World Is My Oyster And The Bay Is My Pearl DSC_0052d-1

JetSkiBrian

Male
Number of posts : 111