RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding braid - how much do you need?

4 posters

Go down

Question regarding braid - how much do you need? Empty Question regarding braid - how much do you need?

Post  aleigh Mon Feb 01 2010, 21:19

Over the weeekend out fishing there were a couple of times I got down to seeing the monoi under the braid and wondered how much you need.

The reel came wound with braid on it and I have had a couple of snap offs when caught on reef and also a knot that I couldn't undo so sliced it off and since I don't know how much braid there was there originally I wondered if time to get some new braid on the reel.
The reels is a Abu T-Alloy 2500 - how much braid will it take? How much do you need? and is the braid attached to the Mono underneath so that should the line peel off too far the mono will continue after the braid?

Not too many questions, just that not seen the mono underneath before.

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Question regarding braid - how much do you need? Empty Question regarding braid - how much do you need?

Post  Shdbefishn? Mon Feb 01 2010, 21:27

Normally about 150 metres (or yards I think some brands are in). Normally its reccomended to have a backing of mono tied with an arbour knot underthe braid, then the braid then your fluro trace. The mono underneath needn't be too long but you wont know whats there unless you empty the spool, a job easily done by winding it onto another spinning reel that has space on it.

Reels often have specs on length of different weight lines so if you dont still have the book a quick google should give you an idea for different weight lines, one site i had a quick look at stated Line Capacity 210yds 6lb Line.
Shdbefishn?
Shdbefishn?

Male
Number of posts : 320
PWC : 2006 VX110
Best fish landed on your ski : 68cm snap - no scales (well the fish had some lol) Hammerhead Shark..
Job/hobbies : Fishing
Humor : lol of course
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Question regarding braid - how much do you need? Empty Re: Question regarding braid - how much do you need?

Post  aleigh Mon Feb 01 2010, 21:40

As was a package deal didn't know how much braid on reel nor what weight the braid was.

Well I certainly wasn't fishing anything near 150 metres near Sargents channel so maybe a trip to fishing shop in order

thanks for help

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Question regarding braid - how much do you need? Empty Re: Question regarding braid - how much do you need?

Post  Shdbefishn? Mon Feb 01 2010, 21:48

Most of the small braid packs are in the vicinity of 125-150 yards, given a few cut lines etc. that will reduce but I wouldnt want to fish with less than 100. Don't try and squeeze too much line onto the reel either unless you enjoy untangling birds nests. 8-10lb braid I find is a good line weight.
Shdbefishn?
Shdbefishn?

Male
Number of posts : 320
PWC : 2006 VX110
Best fish landed on your ski : 68cm snap - no scales (well the fish had some lol) Hammerhead Shark..
Job/hobbies : Fishing
Humor : lol of course
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Tue Feb 02 2010, 00:44

On my smaller reels I have 120m on top of the mono, I tried several diff types of braid a few years ago when I started softbaiting, found berkley to be the most user friendly, Its also rated at 3 times the label strength, To Quote Malcolm from pure fishing the berkley importer "To allow for poor knot tying" sounds odd, but thats how fireline is marketed.
I try to avoid the really light braid, On a real windy day I used to get tangles\knots in the line when casting into the wind from ultra limp braid (4kg Black Magic Rainbow Braid), this is not only frustrating, but sucks when you get a hook up on the drop...
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Scowner Tue Feb 02 2010, 05:20

I got the abu t alloy 2500 and top catch wound 150 m braid on. Not sure how much mono but never seen it yet
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down