RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio

3 posters

Go down

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio Empty where do i get a waterproof VHF radio

Post  pete jenkins Thu Jan 08 2009, 19:13

hi guys,im looking for a handheld waterproof VHF marine radio,im going into tauranga today to have a look around,maybe someone could recomend a model/brand,price,and a source of supply,weather it be thru the internet ,trademe,or a shop,etc cheers PJ

pete jenkins

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio Empty Re: where do i get a waterproof VHF radio

Post  2-EXTREME Thu Jan 08 2009, 19:58

Hi Pete, I use the Uniden Atlantis 250, which is the marine waterproof version but is not fully submersable as they were well out of my price range, but I wanted a model that had switchable power between 1W & 5W just incase I need the extra strength and power 5W provides. On special new they are around $199 but can go up to $249. I paid $140 for mine that was 6 months old and only used a couple of times. You can get submersable ones like the Raymarine and Uniden equivalents etc if you are prepared to pay the $350+ price tag. whichever way you look at it they are a necessary safety equipment and a real bonus if you have other fishoes with them for communication. I am looking at getting the VHF bag which completly protects it if I every need to be in the water.....
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio Empty Submersible VHF

Post  taurangajet Thu Jan 08 2009, 21:11

Picked up a fully submersible Uniden from Burnsco for $350. Turned it on when I got home and listened in on the rescue for the 5 people that went missing off Motiti in the BOP. They had a VHF radio but left it at home!!

To be honest I'm not sure you need a fully submersible one as mine just sits in the front hatch. I suppose I should have it on me but, I'll probably lose it over board and that gets expensive.
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio Empty Re: where do i get a waterproof VHF radio

Post  pete jenkins Fri Jan 09 2009, 07:23

hi guys, went into town late today ,ended up buying a NEXUS VHF model nx1000 ,handheld,waterproof to 1 metre for 30 mins,2w/1w all channel,runs off 4 AA rechargable batteries,it cost me $200.00 this should suit my purpose for the places i go ,i also brought 2 flares,1 para red rocket MK 8 and 1 red handflare MK8,my darling partner is now so much happier about me going out fishing as i always fish on my own ,cheers pj

pete jenkins

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

where do i get a waterproof VHF radio Empty water safety

Post  taurangajet Fri Jan 09 2009, 21:40

Hiya Pete,

Sounds like you've got it sorted. I've got the radio, flares and mobile and go out on my own and I reckon this is ok in case of engine failure. I've got the GPS on the fishfinder to help me find my way home but, I don't go out that far so not really an issue.

Let us know if you come up this way, I fish off papamoa from Kaituna cut. Alway good to go out in pairs

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down