RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freezing Fish

3 posters

Go down

Freezing Fish Empty Freezing Fish

Post  2-EXTREME Sun Jan 18 2009, 08:16

For those of you have caught plenty of fish and are in a predicament where you don't know when your next trip will be (usually in the winter month's) from all my trial and error the best way to freeze fish from my perspective is as follows:

Head and gut the fish (or just gut) and wash the cavity out as thoroughly as possible and then individually wrap the fish tight with glad wrap, then place into a plastic bag, suck all the air out and tie up and roll excess plastic around the fish and place straight into the freezer.

When the time comes over the following weeks that it needs to be eaten, just take out of the freezer and either defrost at room temp or better still defrost in the fridge (takes alot longer though).

Once the fish is almost fully defrosted (still pretty cold and firm but not solid) this is when you fillet the fish for eating.

This method works for me and I can assure you I have tried all varying ways to get this perfected. The one thing you should never do is fillet the fish and freeze them, don't get me wrong that is ok but I have decided for the best quality and to have the fish a close to a fresh catch as possible the above method is the way to do it.

Cheers
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Freezing Fish Empty Re: Freezing Fish

Post  Aka Hooter Sun Jan 18 2009, 09:59

Another one that works well is to buy some of those take away Chinese take away food containers. They hold about 4 to 5 reasonable size fillets or more than enough for a feed for two hungry adults. Make sure all the salt water is drained off and the fish totally fill the container so that its completely full with no air left inside. Quality reef fish like snapper should taste almost the same as the fresh fillets when thawed even after 6 months.

Works in Aussie anyway !
Aka Hooter
Aka Hooter

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Freezing Fish Empty Re: Freezing Fish

Post  Fishoe Wed Jan 21 2009, 06:42

fresh or salt water ?
Fishoe
Fishoe