RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jetski anchoring

3 posters

Go down

jetski anchoring Empty jetski anchoring

Post  Scowner Sat Aug 08 2009, 21:10

After Newbies flat batery experience and having to anchor to wait for the coastguard I thought I would ask the question.

What would you recommend for an anchor, type and weight?
How much chain and gauge?
Rope type length and thickness?
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

jetski anchoring Empty Re: jetski anchoring

Post  Shdbefishn? Sat Aug 08 2009, 22:13

For a runabout you can buy different anchor sizes for different sized/weight boats, the chain should be 1.5 times the length of the boat, attached to this you would normally have 8-10mm nylon rope.

That said my jetski setup is different and what I have seems to suffice due to the weight of the ski.

I have a small danforth anchor which is permanentely attached to a length of rope and a small buoy, I use this when the family are at the beach for the day to anchor the ski just off shore, this stops the ski sitting on the rocks and also useful if the tide goes out without you noticing to find you ski beached and having to wait for the tide to come back in (ring any bells??)

I also have a good length of rope on board so to anchor I simply unshackled the buoy and connected the rope (all spliced with loops at the ends)

So no chain, I use 10mm rope which is probably an overkill but was some rope left over from my boating days.
Shdbefishn?
Shdbefishn?

Male
Number of posts : 320
PWC : 2006 VX110
Best fish landed on your ski : 68cm snap - no scales (well the fish had some lol) Hammerhead Shark..
Job/hobbies : Fishing
Humor : lol of course
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Sun Aug 09 2009, 20:10

I carry an anchor always, I use a small grapnel, with about 15 feet of chain, then 16m of rope and a bouy. The grapnel is awesome in the way that if it gets stuck you just pull that little sucker and it bends and lets go and you can re-bend it by hand.. it holds out here in the manukau where the current runs around 5 knots at times.
I anchor to a bouy, it works good for me, it stops the ski bobbing as the front rope is horizontal then the rope from the bouy goes straight down. Also its great in case I need to just GO right then and there or if you want to go ashore, but not loose your spot and burley trail, just unclip from the bouy and your away. To clip onto the bouy I run a FLOATING bow rope that is not quite long enough to enter the foot of the jet, at about 1.2 meters from the bow it has a figure 8 and caribiner for clipping onto the loop I have at the bouy. the rest of the rope i just droop over the handlebar while at rest so i can pull the figure 8 back to me and either pull in the anchor or unclip lets me anchor off the bow and all works well. I keep the whole anchor setup in a bucket in the front storage unit of my fx140 including bow rope when on the move.

Supercheap auto sell cheap polypropylene rope (ski rope) that floats and comes in about a 30 meter length, it is a little slippery for pulling in with bare hands at times, bit its light and stores fairly small. not silppery with gloves
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down