RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Bee From the Kapit Coast

5 posters

Go down

New Bee From the Kapit Coast Empty New Bee From the Kapit Coast

Post  craig Sat Sep 19 2009, 21:23

Hi Guys & Gals

Craig here from the Kapiti coast i have a bought a seado and my 9 year old and i are keen to give fishing a go. I Know nothing and i mean nothing about setting up line ect.
Can anyone give some advise on what lure and how best to have them rigged up for when we go out, actually how to tie the line would be agreat tip.
I am told by the fishy guys here that soft baits dont work on snapper here ?? not sure why the fish would be any different from up auckland way ??
We have a great island about 10 minute ride to check out so all the tips would be appreciated.

Appreciate any tips big or small

By the way excellant site Andrew tongue

craig

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Back to top Go down

New Bee From the Kapit Coast Empty fishing from jetski tips

Post  aleigh Sun Sep 20 2009, 01:53

I found the www.fishing.net.nz web site quite useful.
Check out Andrew's essential PWC equipment. You may need a sea anchor if currents very strong near Kapiti.

I'd still check out the use of softbait - ask at some of the fishing shops nearby.

I too am a newbee so it is quite a steep learning curve. If certainly is easy to fish off a jetski and with warmer temps coming hopefully a more abundant catch.
Andrew's Ultimate Rodholder is certainly a good accessory if you are getting serious. I made a plastic makeshift equivalent as want to be catching fish regularly before getting one. see Jetski rig part of forum as I have a Kawasaki ski as most others here seem to be Yamaha or Seedoo.

Anything else I can help with either post of use the PM option. I'm sure there are others on the site that will offer lots of useful info
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

New Bee From the Kapit Coast Empty Re: New Bee From the Kapit Coast

Post  Scowner Sun Sep 20 2009, 02:57

Welcome to the site Craig.

As people said to me when I started recently its very addictive and I know thats true now.
As bait vs softbait I had always used bait when boat fishing but the convenience and results of catching snapper on softbaits from the ski can be seen from the results on this site. So good sized snapper being caught and no messy bait!

But it depends on what gear you have - you really need a softbait rod/reel combo if you dont already have one. If you buy some gear get the shop to set it up for you and show you how to do the knots etc to attach jigheads. Once you know a few good knots you are all set.

Heres a link with softbait techniques http://www.slamsoftbait.co.nz/fishing_tactics/driftFishing.html

Happy hunting. Can highly recommend the Ultimate Rod Holder kit.
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Sun Sep 20 2009, 05:59

Welcome Craig.

Good tips above. But I can tell you one thing. SNAPPER NOT LIKING SOFTBAITS DOWN YOUR WAY......load of $#@%!! Unfortrunatley you have had tackle stores and fishos down your way who are very old school and have yet to even put any effort in with the softbaits. Kapiti Island and surrounding pins are renowed for producing some good kingis as well as many snapper. But if you like fishing with fresh bait then thats all good also, you just need to be a little more prepared etc and tailor your setup specifically. Soft baits work around the world. If your one to ever head to Fiji take a rod, reel and a pack of softbaits. Flick a few off the beach or around the reefs and your WILL hook up. Same can be said for Italy, California, Thailand, South America, Australia.......really anywhere. So Kapiti Coast aint any different. Most table fish are predators and will strike almost anything that looks like it is an easy target.

One word of advice I can give is take things slowly and get used to your ski and fishing methods. I would recommend a few solo missions prior to your son or in between so you can be well skilled on the ski prior to your son enjoying (just thinking of safety and your skill level) If everything including fishing and the ski is new then seek as much advice as you can and try and hook up with someone else local. I know of a ski that heads out down that way often but have no idea how to contact him. Jetskifishing can and wil be the most addictive, habit forming sport you could ever take up, so its important to know your limits and learn, learn, learn whilst having plenty of fun.

All the best.

Mark
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

New Bee From the Kapit Coast Empty Hi Cheers i have looked at the web site very help ful i have a shimano rod & reel not really sure if they are any good for soft bait fishing ??? thanks again

Post  craig Sun Sep 20 2009, 08:07

Scowner wrote:Welcome to the site Craig.

As people said to me when I started recently its very addictive and I know thats true now.
As bait vs softbait I had always used bait when boat fishing but the convenience and results of catching snapper on softbaits from the ski can be seen from the results on this site. So good sized snapper being caught and no messy bait!

But it depends on what gear you have - you really need a softbait rod/reel combo if you dont already have one. If you buy some gear get the shop to set it up for you and show you how to do the knots etc to attach jigheads. Once you know a few good knots you are all set.

Heres a link with softbait techniques http://www.slamsoftbait.co.nz/fishing_tactics/driftFishing.html

Happy hunting. Can highly recommend the Ultimate Rod Holder kit.

craig

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  SeaDooer Mon Sep 21 2009, 21:38

Hey Craig,

Just out of interest, which model SeaDoo did you buy?

I found the odd tackle store would steer me away from softbaits, I've mentioned this on here in the past. It does take some getting used to, I'm still messing about with technique and always take my boat rod with me aswell incase I get frustrated with the softbaiter.

I'm sure you'll get right into it, it's a really fun thing to do off a ski onceyour set up right. Don't forget about the essential safety gear though, to enjoy those fish you've gotta come home safe!

All the best with it.

SeaDooer

Male
Number of posts : 42
Job/hobbies : Work in Cranes, HIAB type and spares for all cranes. Hobbies are fishing of course :) photography, having a relaxing beer or two & getting out and about
Registration date : 2009-04-24

http://www.allcrane.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down