RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ?

+2
pete jenkins
softbaiter
6 posters

Go down

what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ? Empty what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ?

Post  softbaiter Wed Nov 26 2008, 06:12

I have a couple of setups, but my Fav is below

Running a Berkley lightening rod 2 peice, 7 foot 4-6kg Very light rod.
Small Mitchell eggbeater
Berkley 6kg fireline
Berkley 20lb flurocarbon leader
Nitro or TT jigheads.
Occasionally wormhooks.

Its seen a bit of action, amongst other fish there was a 20lb+ stingray, a 12lb snap and A mate falling off my boat while transitioning from his boat.... (doubled right over and i thought it was toast)
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ? Empty Re: what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ?

Post  pete jenkins Wed Nov 26 2008, 18:25

what sort of money would you have paid for that set up,ive seen softbait setup ranging from 200 dollars to 900 dollars ,im sure the 200 dollar set up would still work as fine as the more expensive one, plus if you flip or roll your ski on a bar or in the surf while going out or coming ,you dont lose to much in dollar value,cheers PJ

pete jenkins

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ? Empty Re: what rod/reel/bait setups are you running ?

Post  softbaiter Wed Nov 26 2008, 18:49

not too much actually, I imported the rod a couple of years ago from the states, got one for the wife and one for myself. I think the rods were on special and it was 80$ usd for both rods including shipping, The mitchell reel was about 100$

In saying that the other identical berkley has a little shimano 4000fb which is about 45$ worth and the wife has caught quite a few fish on it with no issues, the other soft plastic rod we have is a shakespear that was about 50$ and has an okuma tazer reel worth about 40$ again that has caught some really good fish with no issues.

When I started fishing plastics about 3 years ago i bought a rod and reel package called a "weekender" from the sports shop at whitianga, was preloaded with very low quality braid and a spinning reel for 70$ or so I fished that over the Xmas/new year period every day at matarangi and it caught a few 5-6lbers no problems, It wasnt a fantastic rod by any standards, but it did the job. I would recommend spending good money on braid though this stuff was way too limp and would get itself into mad tangles when casting on a windy day. So My thoughts are you dont have to spend the earth on your gear, just go for lower end of good brands. My old man has about 6 softbait rods, they average about 250$ each..... I still catch more fish haha!

Do you guys run a leash on the rod at all ? I plan to run a small nylon leash from each rod holder with a clip onto each reel

Im hanging out to fish softbaits from a ski as they work better when drifting, and a ski doesnt have a large profile on the water that can scare fish off like a boat
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Thu Nov 27 2008, 09:52

Well mine is called the PINK LIPSTICK-SHIMANO and this is a very lucky rod.
Yes it is pink, I have pink braid and use pink shine softbait!!! Embarassed
I have used others but this reels like a dream. This has proven itself far to many times.
As I recall my last fishing trip, I caught 3, and the men caught 0!
Now I will suggest dont give one to your wife for christmas...you dont want to upset her. Just go out and buy it for her cause you want to!!!!
Every women needs a pink fishing rod...

BM
Admin

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Wetscreems Sat Jul 25 2009, 20:35

Hi All,

I want to know what types reels every one's using ie Spinning or over head bait casters such as the Diawa B2 or Shimano Bantam or larger what weight line or braid your using there's just so much variation If I can get some answers I will fill everybody in. Cheers
Wetscreems
Wetscreems

Male
Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : National Service Manager - Fishing , Boating and Family
Humor : Hell I'm funny
Registration date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  JAZA Sun Jul 26 2009, 02:58

6-8 kg synit spin rod$650
shimano stella 5000sw$1075
12lb fireline
7 inch berkley gulp nuc chick

and penn torque 3-7kg $120
penn affinity 3000 $200
10lb fireline

flurocarbon trace black magic 20lb

ok set up reel needs servicing every 3 trips ie take apart and clean regease shimano no need may seal better??

pay want u want chepaer rells on the ski dont last to long ie penn i have shimano symetre been used 15 times on the ski still mint chepy reel $150
JAZA
JAZA

Male
Number of posts : 177
PWC : 2008 Sea-Doo GTX
Best fish landed on your ski : 10LB SNAPPER FLAT ROCK 9-02-10 JIGGING
Job/hobbies : TRADESMAN/JETSKIFISHING/SNOWBOARDING
Humor : YOUR NOT KEEPING THAT ARE U??
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Sun Jul 26 2009, 03:29

Im using Shimano Stella 4000FA with 10 lb braid on Shimano T Curve 3-6 kg, And Shimano Calais with 8 lb braid also on 3-6 kg T Curve, For jigging i use Shimano Stella 10000SW on Shimano Blue Rose. None of which helped me today i returned home with an empty bin, And also somehow managed to lose the handle off my Stella 4000, And to seal my nomination for plonker of the year I left my wallet and cellphone on the roof of my car and proceeded to go fishing, Wasn't untill after i had pulled the car apart on my return and cancelled my cards that i received a phone call from a fellow boatie who had found it on my roof and kindly looked after it for me.. Embarassed
Brian
Brian

Male
Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : self employed contractor
Humor : Did you hear the one about the .....
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down