RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In-Hull Transducer for STX15F

2 posters

Go down

In-Hull Transducer for STX15F Empty In-Hull Transducer for STX15F

Post  sinavv Wed Feb 10 2010, 05:30

Just wondering if anyone has installed a fish finder on their Kawasaki STX15F with transducer mounted in the hull.
I am looking at buying one soon but before doing so would love some feedback on possible transducer installations.
I have been looking at the Lowrance HDS5 Combo, Humminbird 385CI or the Garmin FF300C (depending on my $$$ allowance Laughing )
Anyone had experience with any of these? Waterproof enough?

I have seen some posts of people with a transom mounted transducers on the STX but I prefer to have one in hull.

The hull in the STX is a bit tight and there's not many places that seem suitable for the installation. Shocked
Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The other question: Is the standard (transom mount) transducer supplied with most fish finders suitable to use as an in-hull installation?
I am probably going to use the suspend in oil method once I get around to purchasing one.

Cheers
Sina
sinavv
sinavv

Male
Number of posts : 5
PWC : 2009 STX15F
Best fish landed on your ski : Nothing worth mentioning. Yet....
Job/hobbies : Fishing, Bodyboarding, Climbing, Flying.
Humor : All
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

In-Hull Transducer for STX15F Empty Re: In-Hull Transducer for STX15F

Post  aleigh Wed Feb 10 2010, 06:15

I have the same jetski and looked at inside mount transducer but also couldn't find a place to mount internally.

Most units come with a transom mount transducer but I believe that you can "glue" these inside hull.
External mount is easier as lomg as get a stainless steel plate made for you - I got one cut and bent for $40 cash from a stanless steel fabricator that fits under step mounting and bends. see my post somewhere on the site.

Hope you find some info re mounting (if so I'd be interested in where they suggest

https://jetskifishing.forumotion.net/photos-of-your-jetskifishing-pwc-f20/photos-of-kawasaki-stx15f-with-fishfinder-etc-t643.htm

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

In-Hull Transducer for STX15F Empty In-Hull Transducer for STX15F

Post  sinavv Wed Feb 10 2010, 06:24

Hey Andrew

Thanks for reply
I checked out your post and certainly got some ideas from it.
Have you managed to place the head unit elsewhere or is it still mounted in the glove box area?
It seems the STX also doesn't have many options for mounting the head unit. Bugger...
Are you still able to use your glove box or does the FF take it all up?
I have been thinking of getting some stainless fabricated running back from the front latch and attaching the head unit onto that.
The ducer I prefer to keep in-hull (if possible).
I will let you know the outcome once I have it all sorted.
How do you find the transducer mounted on the back? Any issues when landing/dragging ski on the beach?

Cheers
Sina
sinavv
sinavv

Male
Number of posts : 5
PWC : 2009 STX15F
Best fish landed on your ski : Nothing worth mentioning. Yet....
Job/hobbies : Fishing, Bodyboarding, Climbing, Flying.
Humor : All
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  aleigh Wed Feb 10 2010, 07:35

yep it is still in the glove box. Made a template and used that to replace the glovebox and screwed it into the same screw holes so can moderately easily put the glove box back.

Could scew into the top of glove box and mount on the stand that comes with unit but then still have wires having to go into hull somehow.

If you want can always snd you copy of the template if can find and also dimensions of the stainless plate on rear.
I think I needed a thicker plate on rear as vibrates a bit at speed but just need to work on putting a foam pad behind and using maybe one of those 3M velcro stickers to stick to the hull and hence have a stable transducer mount. No probs at slower speeds but bit of noise at higher speeds.

Since I don't beach too much then the rear transducer OK - you'd just have to be careful as there is no easy way to protect it.

Andrew
aleigh
aleigh

Male
Number of posts : 186
PWC : Kawasaki STX 15F
Best fish landed on your ski : 40cm snapper on 02/01/10 still trying for bigger
Job/hobbies : Drugs / Kids
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down