RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishfinder install

2 posters

Go down

Fishfinder install Empty Fishfinder install

Post  Pating Wed Jan 28 2009, 15:26

As a fishaholic, my primary fishing platform is the ski and a GPS/sonar are a must to find those honeyholes nowadays. Just finished doin' my 10hr service on both skis, I went ahead and installed a Garmin FF/Depth/temp sounder. The biggest challenge was where to mount the transducer device. I prefer not to drill holes on the hull.

I first mounted the unit in-hull, using devcon plastic welder. Weighed it down with battery to ensure no air in between the hull and 'ducer.
Fishfinder install P1270415
Then tested it out today (LB Marina)...got no reading...went back home, took the ultimate decision and mount the damn thing outside. Trying to minimize drilling holes, I fabricated a bracket out of 3/16" Al plate, holes drilled to fit the 'ducer brace and another hole for the existing bottom bolt from the portside boarding step. The cable is routed thru the bildge outlet and exiting thru the T fitting. The fitting is resealed with 3M5200.

1/8" pilot is the only hole made for the cable retainer screwed outside (re-sealed with 3M5200). Had to do it so the cable clears any mechanical parts in the pumpwell. I know..my ski is dirty...I'll wax it later .. LOL
Fishfinder install P1270411
Cable routed thru existing port upfront near the steering column...secured via rubber boot for water protection. Fishfinder is mounted over the cup holder using a 3" PVC cap. Secured with marine sealant and bolted.
Fishfinder install P1270414
Fishfinder install P1270416

Now, Im figuring out where to install my handheld gps. Anyhow, Im ready to fish this weekend.

Tight lines and revs up!

Wil

Pating

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Fishfinder install Empty Re: Fishfinder install

Post  2-EXTREME Wed Jan 28 2009, 19:33

Looking good !! Have not heard of too many ever getting a good reading in-hull so externally is the way to go. Andrew of JETSKIFISHING does sell a bracket that fits the boarding ladder on the Yamaha if you decide not to drill holes on the other ski. Anyway all good and great to have your info on here for others to learn from.

Cheers
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down