RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of general and major services?

+2
softbaiter
Okidoki
6 posters

Go down

Cost of general and major services? Empty Cost of general and major services?

Post  Okidoki Thu Jan 29 2009, 11:02

Hi Jase,

I don't have a Ski yet, but I am interested in getting a Yamaha.. Either GP760, GP800 or XLT1200..... However my friends keep on trying to discourage me by telling me that is very expensive to maintain and the entire motor has to be rebuilt frequently... Would it be possible for you to give me a ballpark cost on a Minor service vs major service and a full engine rebuild, using those ski's?? (i.e. the things you would typically do with your own ski)

I just need to get my head around this, so I hope you can help me. I am not technically inclined so I WOULD HAVE TO ALSO GET SOMEONE TO DO THIS!!! ;-)

Thanking you in advance.

Okidoki

Male
Number of posts : 3
PWC : FX160HO
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Cost of general and major services? Empty Re: Cost of general and major services?

Post  softbaiter Thu Jan 29 2009, 19:56

have you considered a 4 stroke?
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Cost of general and major services? Empty Re: Cost of general and major services?

Post  Shdbefishn? Thu Jan 29 2009, 20:03

I agree with Softbaiter, I used to have a 1200cc 2 stroke and now into a 4 stroke and havnt looked back, more reliable, more economical, dont stink, engine will do alot more before rebuild etc etc.
Shdbefishn?
Shdbefishn?

Male
Number of posts : 320
PWC : 2006 VX110
Best fish landed on your ski : 68cm snap - no scales (well the fish had some lol) Hammerhead Shark..
Job/hobbies : Fishing
Humor : lol of course
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Thu Jan 29 2009, 20:24

4 stroke represent!
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines

Back to top Go down

Post  Okidoki Fri Jan 30 2009, 05:18

I would love a 4 stroke but they are much more expensive! But it probably makes sense to spend more in the beginning rather than constantly having to spend money...mmmm

Okidoki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Fri Jan 30 2009, 06:59

In my opinion, if you can afford to spend a bit more (say $3k - $4K) then go for the 4 stroke now. Thats around about the cost of a rebuild on a 2 stroke plus the fuel economy, power, quiteness, reliability and ease of starting also are great benefits.

PM me your budget if you like and I will reply with some skis that are forsale that I think are worth a look at.
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Cost of general and major services? Empty 4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Post  swasy Fri Jan 30 2009, 09:04

Hi guys

I agree 4 stroke over 2 any day cheaper to run in the long run. they go further & longer (sounds like a male enhancement pill) lol! . and there are some good deals on Trade me at the moment and I have not checked out trade and Exchange for a while.

I see their is one tidy 05 FX 160 HO done 530 hrs (yes, five hundred and thirty hours) amazing but I have heard of them going to 4,000 hrs.

Keith

Very Happy
swasy
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Fri Jan 30 2009, 21:59

The way i look at it is a 2 stroke may cost less now, but over the next 3-4 years will probably cost you more than owning a 4 stroke
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase Mon Feb 02 2009, 09:46

Okidoki wrote:Hi Jase,

I don't have a Ski yet, but I am interested in getting a Yamaha.. Either GP760, GP800 or XLT1200..... However my friends keep on trying to discourage me by telling me that is very expensive to maintain and the entire motor has to be rebuilt frequently... Would it be possible for you to give me a ballpark cost on a Minor service vs major service and a full engine rebuild, using those ski's?? (i.e. the things you would typically do with your own ski)

I just need to get my head around this, so I hope you can help me. I am not technically inclined so I WOULD HAVE TO ALSO GET SOMEONE TO DO THIS!!! ;-)

Thanking you in advance.
Hey there Okidoki
In general a 2stroke service would cost $150-$200.00 and 2strokes need to be serviced every 25 hrs if looked after properly they can last for a very long time.
As for a 4stroke a service is in general around $350.00 and you would service once a season hope this helps.
Jase
Jase

Male
Number of posts : 45
Job/hobbies : Workshop Manager for pwc,setting up fast skis,racing
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Cost of general and major services? Empty Thank you

Post  Okidoki Wed Feb 04 2009, 10:03

Thank you to all who provided me with some information!! I will button down and save up the extra $$$$$ to get a 4 stroke....

Cheers
Leon
a.k.a Okidoki

Okidoki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down