RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard

+2
Scowner
softbaiter
6 posters

Go down

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard Empty Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard

Post  softbaiter Wed Oct 07 2009, 02:33

Just wondering who else logs a TR with the Coastguard. ?

takes just seconds to do and as long as you have a call sign its free. I can't think of any reason NOT to do one.

Also lets you know your VHF is actually working on each trip, instead of assuming
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard Empty Re: Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard

Post  Scowner Wed Oct 07 2009, 06:24

I dont currently but thats because my vhf battery is dead and still being repacked! If have my vhf license and agree everyone should log one particularly if going out alone.
Coastguard run short courses to to get a vhf license for about $40 bucks.
Scowner
Scowner

Male
Number of posts : 131
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake 155hp 1500cc 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb 1oz - Sat 28nov09
Job/hobbies : IT
Humor : Red Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard Empty Re: Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard

Post  softbaiter Thu Oct 08 2009, 01:04

You can also call *500 to log a report on your cell if the VHF is not working.
I have a VHF operators License as I used to be a Coastguard Volunteer. Personally I don't think its essential but is good to have the license.

Anyone else?
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines

Back to top Go down

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard Empty Trip Report

Post  Cliff Thu Oct 08 2009, 03:37

Yip, I must agree. I fish up north and do a TR every time I go out. I fish out at the Hen and Chicks and Poor Knights, it just gives you that extra bit of confidence knowing your VHF works and you have someone there in case of emergency.
Cliff
Cliff

Male
Number of posts : 12
PWC : 2008 Sea-Doo GTi Humminbird 788ci
Best fish landed on your ski : 15.2 pound
Job/hobbies : Sparkie, Jetski fishing
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Mon Oct 12 2009, 03:04

only 3 of us ?? Not what I expected Shocked afro
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Wetscreems Wed Oct 14 2009, 19:58

I do also both in Auckland and on the Coromandel.

Getting your VHF licence isn't hard takes one day in the weekend or a couple of nights over week or two.

Use this link below will take you straight to the CBES web page for VHF courses and get out and do it.

Its the best security you can get. If you need help a distress call gets lots of attention and some one may be close by unlike a Coastguard Rescue vessel that may have to be rolled out from Mechanics bay.

Cellphones are ok but from experience they go flat at the wrong time don't like being wet and you and the operator taking the call are the only ones to hear whats happening.

http://www.cbes.org.nz/courses/3/marine-vhf-radio/
afro
Wetscreems
Wetscreems

Male
Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : National Service Manager - Fishing , Boating and Family
Humor : Hell I'm funny
Registration date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  2-EXTREME Thu Oct 15 2009, 07:38

Must admit I do not log one when heading out. Always scanning Ch16 and 6 on my VHF, so I know it definaetely works and usually talking to another jetski when on the water at different moves around the gulf. Would definately log a TR though if heading out wide on my own.
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  softbaiter Thu Oct 15 2009, 19:25

One reason I always make a habit of it, is one time (at bandcamp) I went to go for a fish, had checked the battery in my vhf the night before and it was about half, as I was departing from clarks beach I went to log a TR, and Halfway through the TR the VHF voltage dropped down to emergency mode where it can only receive and transmit on channel 16. I now do a TR even if im going short distance as I know my VHF will work when I need it to.

I now make sure its fully charged, as transmitting takes a lot more power than listening.
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male

Back to top Go down

Who here logs a Trip Report with the Coastguard Empty lost at sea

Post  painter Sat Dec 05 2009, 08:41

Has anyone read one of the reports on the coastguard website? A guy here in Christchurch went out for a day with a mate on ski's, one decided to go home the other decided to carry on and play alone, not far of the beach, the thing I'm sure all will hate to happen happened to this guy. Engine failure. How do you get help with no radio, cell, flares. You Dont. This guy waved at boaties and beach but no one seemed to notice him, No one was expecting him home.

He spend 30hrs at sea floating, pushed by currents first South then North, thrown off more than once during two storms, circled by sharks. It was a fishing vesel that picked him up and alerted coastguard. He was lucky. He had a good quality wetty on and a pfd, the only comment from coastguard was he needed a radio.

I think no matter how short the journey either distance or time someone should know and a meens of contact a MUST HAVE.
thats my view guys.
painter
painter

Male
Number of posts : 13
PWC : honda f12x
Best fish landed on your ski : 7 gill 4.9kg
Job/hobbies : paint sprayer
Humor : english
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down