RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE

2 posters

Go down

Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE Empty Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE

Post  eddie Thu Nov 19 2009, 08:54

Knives out for jet skis again
Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE Jetski11

'Jetskiers observing the speed limits' BW Media
Jet skis, or personal water craft, call them what you will, are again under attack from the ‘fun police’, this time on the Queensland Gold Coast.

It seems local residents have gained support from the Gold Coast City Council, or at least from some Councillors, in their attempt to have a particular boat launching ramp declared ‘out of bounds’ for personal; water craft.

Already banned from Sydney Harbour by a former Premier, Bob Carr, in what Boating Industry Association of NSW general manager Roy Privett declared 'unwarranted and outrageous', it seems personal water craft somehow posses the ability to upset people.

Now I don’t own and have never owned a jet ski or PWC and furthermore I don’t have any plans to obtain one.

However, I’m taking the side of the jet ski operators in this instance.

To claim, as many local residents seem to be, about their ‘excessive noise’ is ridiculous; they are considerably quieter than outboard engines.

Are they also facing bans?

And I’m not impressed with the woes expressed by local residents, either.

The boat ramp in question, at Labrador, at the northern end of the Gold Coast, is opposite the Grand Hotel.

It has been there, I’m told, for more than 35-years; some of the complaining residents have been there for six months!

They remind me of a situation that occurred in Sydney some time back; the Neutral Bay Oaks Hotel is one of the harbour city’s favourite ‘watering holes’, yet when an apartment block was built almost alongside, the residents let forth with complaints about noise from the hotel.

Hey, they elected to live there, as did the people who chose to set up home close to a boat launching ramp.

David Heyes, of the Personal Watercraft Distribution Association, said there was always the possibility of an inconsiderate few ruining the fun for everyone.

'Some of the complaints have apparently stemmed from people running and revving their engines on the boat ramp, but there is already a law in place forbidding this,' he said.

'It just needs to be enforced and signs at the ramp need to be larger and informative.'

Keeping it legal - Jetski on the Broadwater - .. .
The Gold Coast City Council will cast a vote on the matter next week which if it goes through will result in that particular ramp being declared 'off limits' to jet skis and personal water craft.

Mayor Ron Clarke has said the ban would comprise a three month trial, but admitted it could become permanent.

Another Councillor, Margaret Grummitt, a former police officer, has said that if the jet ski and PWC operators would move 'voluntarily' to another ramp in Mitchell Park, she would attempt to secure funding for a ramp and car park exclusively for those operators.

Of course, jet ski and PWC operators are themselves to blame for much of the controversy that follows them around.

I recall a well-known dealer telling me some years ago that personal water craft (and jet skis) were a problem for three primary reasons; everyone who had a bit of hoon or ‘cowboy’ in him (or her?) just had to have one.

Throw in the fact that they tend to gather in groups and unlike recreational boats they don’t go to a location, drop anchor and cut their engines, they just keep on swerving and swooping to their hearts content, often without due consideration to other waterways users.

Environmental concerns, however, don’t carry any weight; as I’ve already said, jet ski and PWC engines are quieter than outboard engines, they are propelled by jet nozzles, no propeller to cause injury to people or marine life and they don’t drop anchors that tear up the sea bed.

If there are hoons and cowboys out there, hit ‘em hard; don’t burden everyone with tough restrictions because of a few morons (or is it because authorities can’t catch the morons?).[img]Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE Jetski11[/img]
eddie
eddie
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 149
PWC : Seadoo GTX Wake edition 2006
Best fish landed on your ski : 690mm,12.2LB at the Haystack 5/12/09
Job/hobbies : job=sales/marketing.hobbies=rallying and fishing....now jetski fishing!!!
Humor : All Types!!
Registration date : 2009-06-30

Back to top Go down

Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE Empty Re: Knives out for jet skis in Gold coast -PRESS RELEASE

Post  softbaiter Thu Nov 19 2009, 15:05

man the world would be a much better place without some of these whingers...

I cant understand the logic (if there is any) of some people
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down