RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay?

+3
Fishoe
softbaiter
nowornever
7 posters

Go down

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay? Empty FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay?

Post  nowornever Sun Jan 18 2009, 04:37

I looked at a 2008 FX HO today with 34 hours on it, I noticed in the engine had bits and peaces of rust on hose clamps etc a bit of corrosion marks (not bad) I asked him did water get into the motor bay he said maybe a cup full sometimes.

Is this normal??? Do you have any rust in your motor bay?
nowornever
nowornever

Male
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay? Empty Re: FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay?

Post  softbaiter Sun Jan 18 2009, 05:33

no rust in mine. Is it meant to be a "fresh water only use" one from the states?
softbaiter
softbaiter

Male
Number of posts : 517
PWC : Yammie FX140 fishing machine.
Best fish landed on your ski : 9lb Snap
Job/hobbies : IT System Admin / fixer of anything with button and plug, servers to coffee machines
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay? Empty Re: FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay?

Post  nowornever Sun Jan 18 2009, 05:55

I dont think its from the states... anyone else with rust ???
nowornever
nowornever

Male
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishoe Sun Jan 18 2009, 06:06

if ya get in some big chop you can get a bit of water in hull
Fishoe
Fishoe

Male
Number of posts : 539
Best fish landed on your ski : monster
Job/hobbies : Refrigeration engineer/catching big fish
Humor : Fillet And Release
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Aka Hooter Sun Jan 18 2009, 09:50

They all get some salt water in them ! even when you wash them down some of the salt from the outside ends up in the bilge.. In my experience most of the rust occurs from leaving the seats on with the condensation building up inside. If you take the seats off after use and store the ski under cover and spray everywhere with linox or another brand of sheeps wool degreaser then rust wont be a problem.

Cheers Hoot
Aka Hooter
Aka Hooter

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay? Empty rust spots

Post  taurangajet Mon Jan 19 2009, 21:46

Hi,

FXHO 28 hrs, 1 year old and I've got a couple of rust spots on the hose clips and a couple of screws on the front hatch. Nothing major and everything else is fine.

Julian
taurangajet
taurangajet

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

FX HO Rust and Corrosion ! and What in the engine bay? Empty Rust

Post  swasy Thu Jan 22 2009, 00:58

Hi I have an FX160HO 2007 model with 67.5 hrs on it...no rust spots..although I have a little faint tarnish on one bolt top.

I would advise that you wash out the hold/engine bay with water (fresh) and diluted salt away (or Mac's) etc. I spray all over engine and hold with a mister of salt away and then rinse of gently [u] with fresh water hose on fine mist as well. I do this every few rides or if I'm not going to be on it for a few weeks.

Mild detergent is OK as well (dish wash liquid)

Just no HIGH pressure water...

Also ensure you suck out all residue water from hold after wash out of engine etc. as this will react with the salt dust inside the hull and become salt water which will splash around the place when your doing you thing.

It is possible that the previous owner forgot to put the bungs in properly and it took on more water than one would like...I have seen them sink pretty quickly without the bungs in. best to keep up the preventative maintenance....

Regards

Keith

Keith
swasy
swasy

Male
Number of posts : 139
PWC : 2007 YAMAHA FX160HO
Best fish landed on your ski : 10 KG Kingi on light gear (4kg)
Job/hobbies : Buisness Manager & Contract Sales Resource
Humor : I have 4 kids...you have to have a sense of humor
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky Thu Jan 22 2009, 12:24

Nice suggestions Keith... totally agree!

I often find around a cup of so in the back of my ski after rough riding through waves (and playing time)... water will get in eventually.

I regularly wash my one out with fresh water and leave in the sun to help dry it out... leaving the seats off for most of the time in the garage to ensure maximum drying potential.

One other thing I have discovered though is that the main air intake can accumulate salt residue at its entry point... I am cautious to ensure I regularly clean this out with a cloth and CRC to ensure small salt particles are not sucked into the motor... pays to check these things.
Ducky
Ducky

Male
Number of posts : 138
PWC : Seadoo GTX
Job/hobbies : Jetski, kayaking, fishing, computers, mountain biking...
Humor : Very much!
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down