RE-ENTER OUR NEW WEBSITE AT www.jetskifishing.co.nz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need you guys/girls to help me find a ski.

2 posters

Go down

Need you guys/girls to help me find a ski. Empty Need you guys/girls to help me find a ski.

Post  drawinout Tue Nov 04 2008, 07:41

Hey everybody. I'm really trying to find a ski that I'll be able to afford, but it's looking like it's going to have to be an older model. I'm looking to spend in between 2000-5000 USD. Here are a couple links to some I've been looking at.

http://www.pwc-traderonline.com/find/listing/2002-SEA-DOO-GTX-DI-93937648

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200269087359&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=#ht_607wt_0

If you guys can recommend any older models, maybe 2001-2004 that may be suitable skis, I'd appreciate the advice. All input welcome.

Thanks,

Ryan

drawinout

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Need you guys/girls to help me find a ski. Empty Re: Need you guys/girls to help me find a ski.

Post  2-EXTREME Tue Nov 04 2008, 08:30

Looks like you are getting closer to making a purchase over there !!!

Both skis seem well priced, and line up pretty similar to NZ when converting currency and factoring in shipping etc...... especially with todays exchange rate. I have no current knowledge of the PWC market in your country but would certainly assume the 2 strokes like the blue and white GTX would be pretty cheap now as 2 strokes are banned from most freshwater waterways and lakes if I am not mistaken.....?

You have chosen two quite different skis engine wise, and I beleive for reliablity and economy you really need to spend the little extra and purchase the 4Tec 4-stroke. Having said that there are some important considerations to make on the supercharged 4 strokes from 2004 thru 2007. See the link below for a very detailed explanation of what you need to do, or look out for.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

I would budget for making the upgrade to the 2008 supercharger kit or buy a ski that has had it done properly already and ensure no ceramic particles in the engine etc. As it says in the link above the 4 Tec Seadoo engines are reliable and perform well, and if it had not been for this basic design fault they would have an almost bullet proof reputation.

My recommendation to you (for whatever that is worth) if you want to buy a Seadoo in that price range would be to purchase a 2003 onwards 155hp 4TEC 4 Stroke powered ski. The closed loop colling certainly assist with corrosion etc and with this engine you can have some confidence in good performance, reliability and fuel economy. I would stronlgy recommend you talk to a local reputable PWC mechanic and even get a ski looked over by him/her prior to purchasing. If you are planning big trips off shore, you need something you can rely on. Have you also considered a Yamaha FX140 ? This could be well priced and has excellent reviews.

Also I think purchasing a ski that is unmodified and has had regular scheduled servicing is the way to go.

You can never do enough research and I hope this assist in someway towards gathering information to make a decision. Never take one persons word for anything in the PWC world, as many are incredibly biast towards a specifc brand that they support.

All the best with your hunting and research and we look forward to hearing your progress, followed by some great fishing reports and photos!!
2-EXTREME
2-EXTREME
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 728
PWC : 2009 Yamaha FX HO 1.8 litre
Best fish landed on your ski : 8lb 9oz (Small Fulla Auw)
Job/hobbies : National Sales Manager
Humor : What do you think ...?
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down